-32-

It was quiet around me. I couldn't remember anything, no matter how hard I tried. I felt like I was floating in the darkness around me, not ever able to hit the ground again.

Flowers, dinner. . . there was something that was going on.

What was it.

"Steffi?" I heard a low voice whisper. His voice made me flicker my eyes open. It was Hades. The memories started to floor back to me. I shot straight up, only for my head to start spinning, make me feel sick. "Steffi, take it easy," he said. He came to the bed I was laying on, holding my hand.

"Hades? Where am I?"

"You're in my home."

"Oh, I like being in your home," I said, in a very dense voice.

He laughed at me. "I gave you something for the pain. You'll be a little out of it."

"Oh . . . yeah . . . Hades, what happened?"

"Your um . . .things just-"

"Hades," I heard my mother's voice from the doorway. We both turned to her, staring. She look different, in this world. She looked miserable. "Can I speak to Steffi, alone?"

Hades just nodded and kissed my hand as he left us alone. My mom glared at him, but quickly snapped out of it. She sat at the edge of my bed, and reached for my hair. She pushed it out of my eyes, like she used to do when I was a little kid.

"We have a lot to talk about."

"Yeah . . . I know."

"I'm sorry for not telling you, I was going to tell you, but . . . it just . . ."

"Mom," I said, holding her hand. "Please, I can handle it."

She took a deep breath and nodded. "I am a Goddess, and so are you. Remember when you were in pain years ago? That was your powers coming through. We think you are becoming a Goddess of nature, or possible spring. We aren't sure."

"The pain . . . the thing I had to go to the hospital for? Did you know?"

She closed her eyes. "I did, and I wasn't ready for you to leave my side."

"So you let me be in pain because you weren't ready for me to leave?"

"Well, honey, when you put it like that. I wanted to raise you with the humans. They are more humble than the Gods, and I wanted you to be grounded. If you were tried like a normal person, then you wouldn't turn out like them. It was to protect you."

"Mom, you should have told me. You know how scared I was during that time? I thought I was dying."

She shook her head. "I know, I should have been better. I should have been honest. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

I let out a long sigh. "So it's all true . . . everything?"

"Yes, and whatever choice you want, it's your choice."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"Well, you can either live this human life you were raised in, or do your Goddess duties like me-"

"What are you talking about? Mom, I just found out about all this today-"

"Three days ago," she said. "It's Saturday night now."

I stood up out of the bed, racing around like crazy. "I have to get going."

"What?"

"To the college, I have to be back soon."

"Honey, slow down," she said, putting both her hands on my arms, slowing me down. "This is what I am talking about. It's either college, and living like a human, or you can-"

"I just want to go back to school!" I said, getting out of her grip. She looked at me with painful eyes.

"She's right, Steffi," Hades said in the doorway. "It's either living like you are, or embrace your powers."

"What are you talking about? You acted like a human, sitting on the bench, and taking me to dinner and-"

"Yes, but that's not an everyday thing. I only stuck around because of you. Other than that, I stay here, in the Underworld." He walked closer to me, and took my hands in his. "Steffi, I promise you, either choice, I will still love you no matter what. It's your choice."

"Can I . . . Can I think about it?" I asked both of them.

"Of course," they both said, their words echoing off each other's.

"I want to go back to my school, and . . . and. . ." I couldn't finish. It was all overwhelming.

My mother hugged me. "It'll be okay honey."

I didn't want her touching me, I didn't want her near me. I was so angry at her, yet I couldn't hurt her if I tried.