-23-

Gripping the phone in my freezing hands. For the last hour I have been debating how I was going to tell my mother that I was dating somebody. It wasn't the fact that it was Hades, the king of the underworld, but it was the fact that I did have a boyfriend in general.

My mother wasn't too keen on me having.... Relationship.

So, she has told me many many times before I left for college, that I was a grown woman and I did have my own choices. But we all knew that was bullshit.

"So how are you going to tell her?" Debbie asked from across the room.

"I don't know, how would you tell your mom?" I asked her.

"I didn't, I just went for it. I also have seven siblings, so I don't think she really cared by the time I came around."

"Seven?" I asked.

She just shrugged and went back to her text book. I kept looking at the phone. Hades told me I should go ahead and tell my mother, as she kept calling and texting every single time I was in the Underworld with him.

"I think you should just call and not think about it and just do it," Debbie told me.

"I think I rather have a 3-inch-deep cut and then pour salt all over into the cut than tell my mother I have a boyfriend."

"Is she really that protective?"

I sighed and I dialed her number. Both of our eyes went wide, realizing that the moment of truth, the moment that we had both been preparing for for the last few weeks, was finally here.

The phone rang, and by the time I actually thought I was going to not have to talk to her, or her to miss my phone call, she finally picked up the phone. " hello My Little Flower!"

"Mom! How are you doing?"

"I'm doing good love bug, how is my favorite daughter doing?"

"Mom, I am your only daughter."

"But you're still my favorite."

I couldn't help but grin. My mother, and how her voice had always made me feel safe. Except for this moment, I was extremely nervous and probably on the edge of a panic attack. "Hey Mom..... I really want to tell you something, and I don't know how you're going to take it."

"Oh, my little lovebug, there is nothing you could say that would make me stop loving you. Whatever it is it will be okay."

"Okay," I let in a long breath before lying that out. "Mom, I'm dating somebody."

There was silence on her end, and for a few seconds I thought that she had possibly passed out, or was so angry that she couldn't talk.

I thought maybe she was getting in her car, and starting to drive the two hours out to my school and drag me back home. Maybe she thought about chaining me up and never letting me leave the house again.

But to my surprise, and even Debbie from across the room whose eyes were as wide as mine, my mother started laughing on the phone.

"Is that all? Is that what you were scared to tell me?"

"A little," I said.

Debbie gave a thumbs up and I just nodded at her. I guess our conversation was going well. My mother started to ask me questions, how we met, what was he like, and who was he.

There were a few things I had to alternate, since I really couldn't just come out and say who he was. I told her his name was H, and that he was a very good guy, and that he had loved me.

I told her how we had been dating for nearly 2 months almost three, and how he would love for me to visit her on Thanksgiving.

"I would love that Steffi!" my mom told me. "In fact, if you feel ready, I would like you to bring him along too! Oh! This is exciting, this is your first boyfriend."

"Really? I'll talk to him and see what he has to say, but he is very busy, and I don't know what he is going to be doing for Thanksgiving either, but I'll ask," I told her.

"I have to get going. I love you Steffi."

"Love you too mom, bye," I hung up the phone and looked to Debbie. "Help."

Debbie made a heart with her fingers. "You'll do okay, girl. Besides, you two are serious, the way he looks at you. I wouldn't be shocked if he married you."

I laughed. "I don't think he would want to marry me."

"You can be his queen and him your king," she said.

I felt my heart sink. "What?"

"You know, that stupid couple thing they do. Honestly, it's dumb. You know what I'm talking about right?

"Sure," I said, not really.

"My bio dad and step mommy have it tattooed on each other."

I wrinkled my nose. "Gross."

"I know, right? But I don't think you two would do that. When you get married-"

"I'm not marrying anyone anytime soon!"

She just shrugged. "Whatever you think. But, do you think H will come with you?"

"I don't know. Again, he's busy, with his job," I said, rubbing my neck. It was slowly killing me not being able to talk to anyone about where I was going every night, to meet him. I debated to tell Debbie for a long time, and Hades said he didn't mind if she knew.

But, she may think I was a freak if I told her.

I grew nervous about asking Hades to come along.