Esme

❇ ✧ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ✧ ❇

❇ ✧ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ♡ ⋆ ✧ ❇

1911, New York

It has been a year since we moved away from the Volturi and I couldn't be happier.

I finally felt free.

I have lived for 168 years and only the last year really made me feel free. For the first 17 years of my life, I was held inside a cage that my father made, leaving me only to see the outside world through the window of my bedroom.

The next 50 years I spent shying away from people to make sure my bloodthirst wouldn't kill anyone. This time it was my dangerous side, it was my inner demons that held me back from being free and being my true self.

After the 50 years had passed and I had finally started to control my bloodthirst I was locked up once again but this time by the vampire royalty. This was the longest I was kept away from any type of civilization. I was kept behind the walls of the castle with sadistic vampires hovering over me just waiting for me to cave in and become one of them.

This is why New York has become one of my favourite cities in the world. Because it's the city where I got my freedom back, it's the city where I finally became a nurse and I was able to help out Carlisle with people that needed us. I was being useful and finally, in my life, I had some sort of purpose.

♡♡♡♡♡

Carlisle has been working as a doctor in Columbus because the local doctor was away. It was truly an honour to see Carlisle work with his patients. It brought back memories from when he took care of me. He had his way with people, he was able to be gentle and careful with how he did everything and he truly cared about his patients.

Right now we were on our way to meet with a young girl that he was assigned to treat. Her name is Esme Anne Platt, she is a younger teenager that broke her leg while falling out of a tree. She had to be one of my favourite patients Carlisle has ever cared for, she is this beautiful ever-so-happy girl. I would often come over to her room to talk about nonsense, it was nice to speak with a female from time to time. I came to realize after some days that Carlisle had also become rather fond of the girl. She had him wrapped around her finger whether he liked it or not.

As Carlisle opened the door to her room speaking as we welcomed her with a warm smile which she gave back.

"Good evening Miss Platt, how are you feeling today?" We both stopped at the foot of her bed as she sat up on the bed, the cast giving her some issues. I looked between the pair and I couldn't help but make my smile widen. The way they looked at each other was a way I hoped I would be looked at in the future. I know I'm nowhere near meeting my one true love but that doesn't sadden me, I know that emotionally I'm nowhere near to be with someone romantically. I still have some inner problems that need to be taken care of before I'm able to let anyone into my life like that.

"I'm good doctor thank you, it's always nice to see you and your sister. The other doctors and nurses here are always broody and barely hold up a conversation." I let out a little giggle while nodding my head. Yes, being a vampire actually came with a big advantage in this case. Most people would think it was more of a disadvantage but no, if you have enough self-control you'll be able to get through the blood part. So being a vampire and never getting tired helped when we had to work day and night shifts.

"Yes, well our secret is coffee, lots and lots of coffee." Carlisle and Esme chuckled amused by my comment. Carlisle picked up the files hanging down by her bed and started to read through them before looking back at her with a charming smile.

"Well Miss Platt, it seems like you're ready to leave the hospital. Your leg has healed enough." I could feel Esme's mood go down a bit. It was obvious that she also had some sort of feeling towards him. The way she smiled at him was completely different from the way she would smile at me or the other doctors. She was smitten by him and it was something that made my cold and dead heart heat up a bit. But I wasn't shocked by this, Carlisle is a blond young-looking man with pale skin and eyes that made nearly every nurse turn heads.

"Oh, thank you, doctor, I can't wait to get out.." Carlisle gives her a small smile before he motions for me to walk out after him. The moment he closed the door I looked up at him with my big golden eyes.

"She likes you a lot, and so do you." Carlisle sighed before stopping and looking down at me with a facial expression that was unreadable to me.

"Our feelings may be mutual my dear, but our future does not cross paths. Her future is to grow old and have children of her own while mine is to stay the same age for eternity. Even if I decided to get into some sort of relationship with her I don't think I could be able to bear the pain of the moment she would die. This is the safest for both of us." Carlisle sent me another sweet smile before he walked away leaving me alone just watching his departing figure. I looked back at the door of Esme's room and I smiled.

"The future has a funny way of playing itself."