surprise

At that one word, everything in your mind evaporates.

Gunho?

You don't know how many times you feel like your brain has been reduced to a weak, steaming pile of mush, but you're very sure about this, just one more bombshell dropped on you and you might as well just slip into a comatose state for the rest of your life.

You're familiar with the word, most of all from Yunho's lips. The lookout speaks of old tales about his brother nearly every day, recalling fond stories about their time in the arena, how their brotherhood blossomed, especially so in the bleakness of the arena. You're well versed with the tales of how the two of them had looked out for each other, watched each other's backs, grown up to become comrades and best friends.

In the rigging, you had listened to him recall days of training and fighting as the three of you, you, Yunho and Wooyoung, had worked to raise and adjust the sails together. When the wind was constant and the weather was good, all of you would sit in the ropes and listen to Yunho talk. You had not much past to speak of and Wooyoung steered clear of speaking about any history of his, thus his tales entertained the two of you greatly and helped to pass the time. You didn't mind, the lookout was a good speaker, peppering his stories with funny anecdotes and often poor attempts at acting which always brightened your mood.

But behind every happy tale, there had been a lingering sadness in Yunho's eyes, a pained smile to the end of every story, an unspoken, sad conclusion to what should have been a beautiful chronicle of brotherly kinship.

Gunho's death had weighed heavily on Yunho's mind, you know, from the way his eyes sadden minutely every time you bring him up on accident. Yunho prefers remembering the happy, good times with his brother, when the two of them had been together, but the thought of his brother always brings up a single fact that he can never ignore.

He had been too late to save his brother.

It'd been like a bitter pill for Yunho, hard to swallow and even harder to accept but he's done it already, biting back his tears to face the big, wide world with a positive, cheerful smile. He's supposed to have moved on already, putting the past behind him as he continues to move forward... but you doubt that he would have expected for his past to be dredged up again once more, upturning everything he had once believed.

Gunho is alive.

It's as if time stands still for a moment as the once hooded man straightens up to stare at Yunho in surprise, sword nearly falling from his grip from the shock of seeing his older brother after so long. Deep brown meets deep brown as the two of them simply take in the appearance of the other, as if they can't really believe that fate was kind enough to let them cross paths once again in this lifetime.

You're almost ecstatic for Yunho, knowing that this must be the most heartwarming reunion that you'll ever have the luck to witness. A grin pulls widely at your face as you turn to look at Yunho, who's simply gazing upon his brother in disbelief. Slowly, you see him blink, once, twice, as if trying to prove to himself that this really isn't a dream, before his jaw clenches and you see a single tear spill over his eyelashes and down to his cheek.

"Gunho... you're alive?" Yunho chokes out, voice overcome with emotion and the brown haired man looks as if he's been snapped out of some sort of daze. A blinding, dazzling smile of sheer joy spreads over his face as tears rolls down his own cheeks.

"Brother, I've been searching for you so long!"

Hesitantly, Yunho looks over to his captain, who looks just as stunned as everyone else on board is. Then he nods, slowly, and Yunho is stepping forward slowly, as if still in a daze. Gunho throws his longsword to the side in his excitement and runs straight into his brother's arms, embracing him tightly.