Chapter 6

Loki held you safe in his arms awhile longer. He seemed to be doing it as much for his sake as for yours. You didn't mind. He was safe, strong, and comfortable for all that his body was strangely cool to the touch. He ran his fingers lightly down your arms, softly, gently, touching each scar as he did. Each one seemed to hurt his soul, hurt him a little more that your skin bore the scars. "Never again, darling," he promised you softly. "I will never allow you to be used like that again." His words were reassuring, though more protective than a friend's words, you realized. He cared for you more than just simple friendship...and you realized that your feelings weren't purely friendly either...

You shifted in his arms enough to pull your laptop into you lap where he could easily read the screen over your shoulder so you could talk to him more easily. -What'd you do tonight? Is everyone else back too?-

"They should be back by now," his voice was still soft, gentled now that you were safe in his arms. "They sent me back ahead to check on you. I can teleport," he added quickly before you could ask how he beat the others back. "No one liked leaving you alone tonight. We took care of the Enhanced. SHIELD has them in custody now."

-My shower?- you typed quickly. It wasn't like him to barge into a bathroom like that and you had to know how badly he'd been affected.

"I came up here to check on you, since you weren't downstairs." He hesitated, trying to think, to remember. That wasn't a good sign. "I heard singing." His eyes started to glaze again. You jabbed him hard in the side before he could get too distracted. This really wasn't good, the thrall should've worn off by now. He blinked quickly and nodded a thanks to you for catching him before he got lost to even the memory of the thrall. "I had to follow the singing. I have never heard anything so compelling before. Somehow that led to me standing in the doorway of your bathroom. I apologize for that. It was unseemly to do so..." he flushed.

-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been singing. I thought I was alone or I never would have risked it-

"It takes quite a lot of power to enthrall an Asgardian," he commented, thinking over your power, now that he was thinking clearly enough to consider it and consider what had happened. "You're a Siren," he finally concluded.

You nodded, it was an apt description for that particular ability. -It's one of the three powers I know I have- you typed. The sirens were part of Greek mythology, monsters who lured sailors to the deaths with their beautiful singing. You didn't know the full extent of any of your abilities, they were all too dangerous to test.

Loki stopped you before you settled yourself too comfortably in his arms again, thinking the conversation was over now that he knew the secret of why you kept your arms covered. "I have let you stall long enough, love. You know what must come next. I would have forced the issue weeks ago had I known how bad it was." He started. You tucked your head under his chin, ignoring what he was trying to say. He sighed. "Darling, you are completely covered in wounds, many of which have not completely healed, though you have been here for weeks. It is time to see the medical staff," he told you overly patiently. "You have a choice, either come downstairs to the medical staff on your own, or I will carry you there." You were sorely tempted to call his bluff, but you could tell from his tone that he wasn't bluffing.

You huffed a sigh and sat up, setting your laptop aside. [You're not making me go alone, are you?] you asked him, terrified of seeing these...professionals alone. Authority figures were not to be trusted.

"No, love. Not unless you want to be alone while they examine you," he replied gently. You shook your head. You didn't want to face these people alone. He stood and offered you a hand. "Come on, we will go together," he bid you softly. You hesitated. "Do I have to carry you?" he asked when you hesitated too long. With a huffy sigh, you took his hand and let him haul you to your feet. He summoned his own robe to settle over your shoulders. "Until we get to the doctors," he explained. He'd let you hide until then. You nodded in appreciation and held his hand too tightly as you went downstairs with him.