Chapter 34

Oh gods, what did Odin do to the apple to get that reaction from the reasonable people in the room?

"By the norns. Father, where did you even get one of those?" Thor demanded, so shocked that he wasn't acting the right questions. You had swallowed your bite of apple and just stared at the golden apple, praying that you wouldn't find out it was poisoned. That would suck after all you'd been through. It would also be illogical with how much Odin seemed to want your powers.

"Odin! You cannot just turn mortals into our kind without their consent!" Frigga scolded Odin at nearly the same time Thor spoke.

You just stared at the apple in your hand.

Definitely not poison.

It was a golden apple. Your mind whirred, trying to remember the myths. Apples, apples, poison apples kept coming to your mind unhelpfully. You needed something less Disney, more Norse mythology. You'd read up on the myths since meeting Thor and Loki, but of course they were slow to come to your mind now. Also most everything in them was wrong, though there were truths hidden among the lies.

Idun's apples, you finally remembered. Idun's golden apples granted immortality and eternal youth to the gods of Norse mythology.

"Idun's orchards thrive. They have just been kept hidden from the mortals. There is no need for hysterics. The deed is done. One bite of the golden apple is all it takes as you all know. It is an honor to bestow our immortality upon a mortal. Besides, we could not have a mortal marrying a prince of Asgard,"

"And so her powers will be useful to you forever? You claim Loki is a soulless monster, yet he is the one fighting for love and you are ignoring the concerns of everyone around you for your own selfish gain," Frigga's voice was harsh, icy, cold, so unlike the warm nature you'd heard of her from Loki. Odin wisely didn't answer. He was obviously in deep trouble with his wife. If anyone could properly get back at him it was her.

"The wedding will be in three days' time. You're dismissed, all of you," Odin ordered firmly, trying to end this trial on his terms. You hoped Frigga slapped the shit out of him.

You snapped quickly to get Thor's attention and gestured to Loki, who was currently being dragged away by the guards. "Father, keep your word and set Loki free," Thor boomed. You shot him a grateful look. Odin nodded to the guards and you ran over to Loki as the guards set him free of the chains. He opened his arms as you ran into them, holding him too tightly. He held you with the same intensity.

"I thought I was going to lose you," he whispered against your hair.

"Brother, we should get out of here," Thor's voice was soft for once as he joined you

"Go away, Thor," Loki said softly.

"Loki..." Thor's voice was concerned. You looked over at him and he started steering the two of you out of the throne room. You kept an arm around Loki, trying to keep from being separated from him again, now that you'd gotten him back. Thor stopped forcing you along the hall when you were in a quiet corridor. "Both of you be careful. Don't do anything stupid, reckless, or mischievous. If it involves stepping out of your chambers it is probably a stupid idea," Thor told Loki firmly.

"I'm not stupid, brother. I know we're being watched. Besides, you should know how Idun's apples affect mortals. The Allfather only set the wedding for three days from now to make sure she's had time to make the transition before then," you glared and jabbed him hard with a finger. He kissed the top of your head. "Sorry, darling," he had fallen into the habit people had of forgetting you were a living being that can hear people talking when you're in the same room with them. "Sorry. It's been a long few days, but that's no excuse," he kissed the top of your head again. You nodded and laid your head against his chest.