Chapter 33

Thor carried you all the way to the healing room. You didn't look at any of the healers while they worked on your injuries. They were equally silent, Thor's presence deterring questions about the tiny mortal in their care. It didn't take long for them to fix you up with their magic. You got to your feet when they were done a little stiff and sore, but otherwise completely healed. You nodded your head in thanks to them.

"Thank you for your assistance," Thor told them, wrapping an arm around your shoulders. "Loki's lady is mute, or she would thank you herself," he added, before speculation could start about his relationship with you. "Come, lady," he bid you, turning both of you to leave the healers. He led you through the halls of the palace. "This is the family wing," he explained when you'd entered a hallway. He opened a door about halfway down the hall.

"Your highness," greeted a couple of maids who had been cleaning the room.

"Ladies," he replied warmly with a head nod. Thor was nice to everyone, but he was extra polite to the servants. "Would you kindly find clothing for Loki's lady for while she is here?"

"Yes, sir," one of them rushed off to do as she was bid after glancing at you long enough to estimate your size. "Is there anything else you require, sir?" the other asked. Thor asked her to bring something to eat and she rushed off too.

"It was stupid to come here after Loki," Thor informed you when they were gone.

You shrugged. "It was still the right thing. He doesn't deserve to be in the dungeons." You kept your voice to a calm whisper, though it was hard.

"So you were going to commit treason, break him out of the dungeon, and then what?"

"Go back home," you replied. "Odin won't chase us when we're back on Midgard," you explained.

"How-?" he started, you pointed to the new long scar that ran down the outside of your left arm. He sighed. "Of course. Our friends should have watched you more closely," he said. You couldn't disagree on that point. They should have known to watch you more closely. "You do realize that Odin can have you killed for invading Asgard, right?"

You blanched at that. You knew it was bad, but figured he'd exile you back to Midgard at the worst, not kill you. "Loki, Mother, and I are going to do everything in our power to get you off the hook for being a lovesick mortal. If not, we're going to fight to get you sent back to Midgard. My point is to focus on yourself right now. Don't try to save Loki, his punishment has already been decided. Don't get yourself killed trying to save him. He's beyond your help right now,"

"Thor, I can't leave him in the dungeons here," you told him with tears in your eyes.

"Y/N. You have to. Odin will kill you or will never let you see him again if he doesn't. It's over, we've lost," Thor told you firmly.

"I thought surrender wasn't in your nature," you snarled at him in reply. He looked hurt at that and sighed.

"Fine, but not until after we get your life spared. Then we'll work on figuring out how to help Loki. Ok?" You nodded. You could accept that. You couldn't help Loki if you were dead. At least not very easily.

You stayed in Thor's suite, both of you worrying about the upcoming trial. You argued over the bed that night. Thor finally told you that you had to take it and he would sleep on the couch so you couldn't sneak past him and escape. You rolled your eyes and insisted the bed was big enough to share and neither of you had interest in the other. He finally relented when you weren't going to give up. His bed was big enough that you could fit at least two more people in the middle and you weren't sure any of you would touch. You turned your back to him and he to you. He also laid on top of the blankets to be extra polite. You had a feeling that he was going to get up and relocate as soon as you were asleep. At least you'd made the offer and he was keeping his word to Loki to keep you safe.