19. The pain they didn't choose!

~ Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming of it.
- Hellen Keller~

Manik had always felt helpless with emotions, especially when he had to be expressive about them. He didn't know how to tell someone you are in pain or that you need a hug. On the same plane, he didn't know how to react when someone did know exactly that. He didn't know how to console her, for that matter. Or maybe, all that was in his head.

It was years of self doubt that had made him so, but at days in life, you meet that one person who dares to push all your wrong buttons, and make you do things, you never thought you will do again. For him, that person was Nandini.

As she sat sobbing into his chest, he in a reflex, held her close, and with the right hand operated his phone to order something on Swiggy. He didn't speak anything, just gave her a shoulder to cry, as much as she wanted, and at the same time caged her in his broad arms, lest she felt alone. He understood her stance, because he had been there too, for a shorter time than her but then time has never been a measurement for pain.

Nandini sobbed into his chest, grateful in her heart that he wasn't questioning her, for she didn't know how to answer. She was too good with words and logic no doubt, but there were days when she needed silence more than anything, like that night. But a little Love never hurts, does it? Hence she let him hold her, and rub her back occasionally or drop a kiss on her forehead and hairs. It made her feel she wasn't alone, and that was a good feeling.

When the door bell rang in the middle of the night, Nandini frowned and broke the hug, wiping her chubby cheeks with the back of her hand, before looking up at her husband who was smiling at her. He got up to receive the door, and when he returned Nandini was beyond surprised to see a cake in his hand, that had a candle glowing, and when he kept in down in front of her, she saw what was written on it.

" Happy birthday Amma".

Nandini could not help but chuckle before melting in his arms again, while he scratched his head embarrassed.

" I thought she would be happier if we celebrate her birthday, rather than just cry it out?", He mentioned trying to seem extremely casual, but Nandini knew it was his effort to make her feel better, and she appreciated with all her heart.

Smiling, she leaned forward to cut the cake but stopped, and turned to find him standing behind her, ready to clap out the birthday song. She eyed him to hold her hand while she sliced the cake and he complied, helping her cut the cake as both sang it for her.

" Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Amma,
Happy birthday to you!".

Manik fed her first, despite the tears that rolled down her eyes yet again. She returned the gesture by feeding him and Manik bit his lip, making her frown but before she could comprehend, he had smeared quite a lot of the cream on her face.

Nandini opened her mouth in shock, and then closed it, still unable to grasp what happened. When she finally gained her stance, she rolled both her lips in, let out a deep sigh, and exclaimed.

" This calls out for war!", And that lead to a cat-mouse chase between her and Manik, tumbling all over the chairs and book shelves in the study, while she ran behind him wanting to smear the cake on his face too. Manik dodged himself several times, but when he saw her panting, he slowed down and let her catch him, and then stood still when she balanced herself on her toes to reach his face.

The cake on his face served its purpose, it made Nandini laugh out loud, the same child like laughter Manik loved about her, and also, it hid what Manik wanted to hide from her, his own share of pain.