49. I Need The Lantern!

~ Sometimes we falter, and that's okay, but even that becomes better if you have someone to hold your hand through it ~

There are good days, and then, there are bad days. Sometimes you have okay-ish days too, and through all that, what matters is who you fall back upon, through your smiles, through your tears, through your numbness. For both Manik and Nandini, they were trying to hang in between being okay and having a bad day, because it was their closest friends' Sangeet night and mostly they didn't want to ruin it with the heavy weight they kept on feeling in between as they tried their best to hide it, together and individually.

And as they say, fake it till you make it, so both of them were trying to be happy, pretending nothing happened out of place, not talking about it, but trying to enjoy the best way they could. But what gave both away was Manik trying to cheer Nandini and Nandini trying to cheer Manik, going out of their ways, but not accepting it.

Nandini stood in front of the mirror in their room, at the resort, trying to hook up her earring when Manik walked in. She looked up through the mirror, only for their eyes to meet, and a small smile to shine on their faces. It was surreal the feeling, they were both feeling bad about something that wasn't even existant, probably attachment doesn't need something to be real.

"Manik, fix this crease na", Nandini turned to him, and Manik walked to her, sitting down on his knee to fix the flow of her green off shoulder dress. Once he was done, he stood up and kissed her head.

"You look so beautiful", he whispered, and Nandini smiled, hastily kissing his cheek, her way of thanking him for the compliment. Then she suddenly remembered something and acted like clearing her throat, her hands making their way upto his collar as she fake fixed his Sherwani.

"Manik, you know how I have this urge to do some stupid things all the time, because adventure! ", she started, creating the preface for the upcoming bomb and Manik's ears immediately got all alert, for he knew she was going to say something actua...

"Manik, you know how I have this urge to do some stupid things all the time, because adventure! ", she started, creating the preface for the upcoming bomb and Manik's ears immediately got all alert, for he knew she was going to say something actually stupid.

"And?", he urged, as she bit a smile, and looked at him, batting her eyelashes.

"And you are my Pati Parmehswar. I Need your permission", She stated very casually, while Manik's heart was beating too fast.

"Actually you Don't, Akshara Bahu, but anyway, what exactly do you want this permission for. I am not sniffing anything good", he counter stated, raising his eyebrows but all Nandini did in reaction was burst into loud laughter.

"I will tell you after the Sangeet. Stay tuned", she danced around the room and left, still laughing and Manik didn't mind at all. Right now he was ready to deal with any stupidity/adventure or drama if that made her happy. He was missing her vibrant mood, and he also realised that a sullen Nandini was his least favourite from all shades of dramatic Nandinis.

Shaking his head, he fixed his hair before walking out to the Sangeet Venue. For a traditional bengali wedding, Sangeet isn't that big function and neither is Mehndi because instead of Mehndi there are Aalta designs made on hands, but because Anushree was a non bengali, the customs had been mixed, leading to this Mehndi and Sangeet ceremony.