56. Worries And Hope

~There is something sweet about the air this spring, and when I walk into the sunlight, it feels like hope ~

Manik quickly ran a glance through the file and nodded at his assistant to go through it and prepare the notes, while picking another file from the mountain of pending files. He irritably glanced at his watch and clicked his tongue in annoyance.

Good three hours before he could even speak about going home.

If it wasn't for Abhik's honeymoon, Manik was sure he would have called him up and blasted for leaving him so much work behind. Who goes for a month long trip anyway, Manik frowned to himself at the thought, thank goodness that two weeks were already over and it was just 15 more days of work torture left. He picked up his phone to text and crib to Nandini about it, but as soon as he swiped the lock, Nandini's giggling face greeted him back from his wallpaper.

All his annoyance lay forgotten as he began smiling stupidly to the picture. And with that came the realization that he hadn't taken Nandini for a honeymoon post their marriage, and he had joined back work two days after his marriage, which was probably why Abhik didn't have to endure the kind of torture he was suffering.

Nandini had just given the class the final assignments for the end semester, and was waiting for the class to be dismissed when her phone screen lit up with a message from her husband.

"We should go on a honeymoon, longer than that moron did".

Nandini chuckled slightly, shaking her head. She was aware of the increased work load on Manik in Abhik's absence, given they handled the majority cases of the firm together, and that coupled with the one week off Manik took for Abhik's wedding, there were almost truckloads of pending cases, and Manik didn't like delaying at least the cases that could be sorted in the family courts, or at magistrate level. Even though he had been working with the judiciary system for years, he himself hated the snail paced system with all his might.

"I think I married the defected piece of romance, nhi? People go to honeymoon, you know why, and you want to go to honeymoon so that Abhik Da has to work alone and sulk! By God!!!"

She replied, shaking her head, hoping that he would read it with all the melodramatic feels that she had put in writing. A glance on her wrist watch made her aware that the class timing was over, so she dismissed them with a gentle reminder of submitting the assignment on time. Walking to the staff room, Nandini engrossed herself in editing the article she was working on, when her phone pinged again.

"Wasn't Delhi and Goa a reminder enough how I ought to spend our honeymoon? Or do you want ICE CREAM to refresh your memories, wifey?"

Nandini blushed scarlett at the mention, she cheeks flushed so bad that she had to bite the inside of her cheek to keep herself from smiling silly in front of her colleagues.

" How about you bring some Ice cream while coming back home tonight, yeah? I would be waiting!!!!!"

She was pretty sure she won't get another reply so soon now, and she didn't. If there was a PhD course available on when and how to press Manik Malhotra's buttons, Nandini would be the gold medalist already. She ducked her head to hide her chuckle, instinct told her husband would be searching some new ice cream flavour online at the moment. She rolled in her lips, and forced herself to focus on her work so that she could wrap and mail it on time. She looked at her wrist watch again, she needed to pay her Appa a visit before she could go back home to her husband and ice cream.

True to her instinct, Manik was pouting at the phone screen, terribly confused between Black Current and American Nuts. He loves the smell and taste of Balck Current minus the black seeds like something in it, it was his most favourite flavour after Mint Chocolate, but he wasn't sure if Nandini liked it. She looked more like an American Nuts person given her fascination with plain Vanilla. Confused, he ended up adding both tubs to the cart and them smiled in satisfaction at his move.