40. An Evening To Remember

~ Memories are seldom those that we plan and execute, they are more like an unexpected breeze that soothes you and you keep revisiting that moment often in your mind ~

Nandini came out of the washroom wiping her face with a towel, her eyes waiting for the room service to knock. It was late afternoon when they returned from court and both of them were famished. Throwing the towel on bed, her eager eyes searched for her husband dear who was sitting on the couch near the window, his head thrown backwards and eyes closed. Smiling, Nandini walked upto him, settling beside him and began to play with his messy hair falling on his forehead. The instant smile that graced his face was enough reward for her to grin.

"What are you thinking?", she questioned quietly and Manik opened his eyes to tilt his face and look at her.

"Just about how difficult letting go is", he sighed, but ended up smiling at her. A small smile, but it was there and it made Nandini smile back at him. Of course hers was wider.

She took his left hand and held it warmly in between hers, before leaning forward to kiss their entwined hands. Manik watched her, shaking his head at her madness and ended up softly pecking the side of her head when she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Manik?", her voice was gentle and he absolutely loved when she cared for him like that.

"Hmm?", he gestured her to go on.

"Just so you know you are so strong to do what you did. I know letting go is easier said than done, especially people you had held so close to your heart all these years. So many memories. A lot bad but a bunch good. I am proud of you", Nandini spoke softly and Manik's face was graced with a smile, as he slightly chuckled at her attempt to cheer him up, not that he needed it, but it felt great to see her efforts.

Smiling, he pulled Nandini onto him and she shifted closer, resting her head on his chest as she made herself comfortable on his lap. Dropping a chaste kiss on her hairline, Manik held her close.

"You are right, but there is the catch Nandini. I am not letting go of these memories, neither good or bad. They had been a part of my life for almost two decades, and one of those decade holds the best memories of my childhood and adolescence. I will never forget the good ones because they are a reminder of the good that they had in themselves. And the bad, because well you forgive but should not forget the lessons life teaches you. They had been a big part of me, will always do, just won't affect me anymore", Manik explained, and Nandini fell in love all over again.

"I love you Mr. Manik Malhotra", she Confessed pecking his cheeks lightly.

Manik chuckled, rubbing his nose with her, and kissed her deep.

"I love you too, and I have a surprise for you", he winked making Nandini laugh. She did not question him about the surprise because the bell boy knocked but she knew he was going to amaze her yet again. He always did.

After a satisfying lunch and a short nap, Manik and Nandini were ready to go. Since Manik didn't say where he was taking her even after all her whining, Nandini had stomped her foot and settled for a white polka print Maxi Dress and paired it with a denim jacket while Manik had pulled off an all black look with his favourite cap.