Carter | Sharing is Caring

Sharing is Caring

Sharing is Caring

Carter and Mark didn't speak in the back of the car. His father was playing some oldie station over the radio, but Carter barely heard it. He was too busy thinking of what to say to break the ice. This was the first time the two of them were hanging out alone — and not by choice.

It was originally supposed to be the three of them; Amber had volunteered her and Mark to help him with drills before tryouts next week. But when she called to say she couldn't come, Carter had wanted to cancel.

"He doesn't like me, Amber," he had explained. "I don't think he's gonna want to play if you're not there."

"He'll be fine," she'd insisted. "Mark likes you, it's just hard for him to show it sometimes. You guys will get there eventually, I promise. Just give him a chance for me. Please?"

That was the only reason he hadn't backed out. Carter couldn't say no when she asked like that. He had tried and failed many times over the summer.

As the silence in the car stretched on, he wished he had tried a little harder. Mark was quiet when they initially met, but there was a noticeable shift between them ever since last week. Amber had told him about Mark's sudden move, but Carter failed to see why that would make Mark ignore him.

"Alright guys, we're here!" His dad's chipper tone was a stark difference from the tense atmosphere. He pulled into a spot near the front of the field, then popped the trunk to grab the supplies.

Carter took his time getting out of the car, unmotivated to play for the first time in his life. Mark wouldn't even look at him, much less speak. What fun was soccer without a good teammate?

They watched in silence as Carter's dad set up the goal on the other side of the grass. Sighing, Carter steeled himself against his doubts. He couldn't go all day like this.

"So...how's the new house?" he tried, glancing over at Mark. "It's cool you live closer now, but I know what it's like to move... "

It was the wrong thing to say. Mark's face clouded over. "I don't want to talk about it," he said roughly, then took off towards the goal.

Nice going, Carter, he thought to himself. It seemed no matter what he did, Mark wasn't interested in talking. With a sinking feeling in his chest, he jogged after him.

"Alright, Mark, you're gonna be my helper today," Carter caught his dad saying as he joined them. "Think you can do that for me?"

Mark grumbled out some kind of response, but if it was English, Carter couldn't tell.

Mr. Hayes didn't miss a beat. "I'm gonna take that as a yes. Carter, hop in the goal for me, and remember, stay on the balls of your feet. We're gonna hit you with everything we got, so don't let your guard down."

Grudgingly, Carter trudged over to the goal and held his hands up in defense.

"Now, Mark," Mr. Hayes dropped a ball down in front of his foot, "Your job is to try and get this ball past Carter and into the goal. Do whatever you can to score. When your foot gets tired, let me know and I'll sub in, ok?"

Mark nodded apprehensively, but didn't say anything. He just stared back at Carter with an unreadable expression.

Carter gulped. He knew he was a pretty good goalie, but the thought of Mark kicking balls at him all afternoon wasn't very appealing. He really should've canceled.

Mark reared back and sent the ball flying Carter's way. He barely knocked it away from the goal, sliding into the grass before rolling back to his feet. His dad already had another ball loaded up, and Carter had to sprint to block Mark's next shot.

"That's it, Carter, stay light on your toes!" his dad encouraged, then leaned down to give Mark another ball. "You're doing great, Mark. Keep it up!"

Through the sweat in his eyes, Carter saw a flash of a smile cross Mark's face. It distracted him long enough for the next ball to soar past, hitting the net hard.

"Way to go, Mark!" Carter's dad cheered, clapping him on the shoulder. Carter watched Mark brighten for the first time all week, and suddenly, he didn't feel like the day was such a waste. Sure, it wasn't the practice he'd been looking forward to. And maybe Mark was happier kicking balls at him than being his friend.

But Carter also knew Mark's dad didn't move with the rest of his family, so maybe today was about more than just soccer.

So Carter kept smiling even as his dad gave more and more attention to Mark throughout the practice. He didn't get discouraged when Mark sat up front on the way home rather than in the back next to him.

Instead, he thought back to what Amber had said.

We'll get there... eventually.