Benjamin | Family Reunion

Family Reunion

Family Reunion

"Ben, get the door please," his father called as he headed up the stairs. "I need to check on your sister. It's nearly six and I haven't seen her all day."

Ben thought about ignoring him to finish the last level of his game — he was so close — but feared that a second doorbell ring would blow his cover. He didn't understand what the big fuss about Amber was, anyway. Darren Wexler's party was tonight; she was gonna come down at some point.

Shoving his game against the couch cushions, Ben bounded to the front door and swung it open without bothering to check the peephole.

"Can I help you?" Ben recited like Mom had taught him. Sometimes he would try and spice it up; today, he was just eager to get back to the couch.

"Holy shit."

Ben blinked. An adult had never said that to him before.

He didn't even know this woman. Ben was sure he'd never seen her heart shaped face, or the cascade of dark braids that framed it. Her clothes were also new to him, the colors so bright against her copper skin that it nearly gave him a headache. The longer he stared at her, the more certain he was he'd never seen her before in his life.

And yet — there was something familiar.

"Holy shit, she really had one," the lady whispered, more to herself than him.

"Um, are you a friend of Mom's or something?" he threw a thumb over his shoulder, "cause I can go get her." Ben silently hoped she'd say yes. As mildly interesting as she seemed, he really wanted to finish the level.

"Wow, alright, this has thrown me a bit, not gonna lie," she continued on as if he'd said nothing. "I had my suspicions when I called Monday but... I suppose I should introduce myself, huh. God, that's so weird, introducing myself to my own nephew. Oh, yeah. I'm your aunt. Guess that's one way to do it."

"My aunt?" Ben repeated. "I don't think I have an aunt."

"And I didn't think I had a nephew. We're all learning new things today, kid. Now, can you tell me if your sister's home?"