Chapter Nine

 After the incident with Brynn, I couldn't bear to face Carter

I holed myself up in our bedroom, pushing my face into the mattress so he wouldn't hear my sobs. I laid there all day, sleeping on and off, not leaving even to eat. Around mid-afternoon, I heard the door open, but Carter didn't say a word. Once sure he was gone, I peeked from under the covers and found a tray filled with my favorite foods. I let it sit there until everything was cold.

That night, Carter didn't try to get in bed, saving me a very awkward conversation. He only came in once, presumably to grab clothes, which tempted me to break the ice and talk.

Instead, I burrowed deeper and pretended to be asleep — fake snoring and all.

Waking up today, I'm tempted to stay curled up in bed, especially when I hear sounds of Brynn crying somewhere in the apartment. But I can't afford to not be productive, regardless of how I feel. If I'm going to avoid my husband and child, the least I can do is work on remembering them.

Carter must've had the same idea; when I roll out of bed, I find a piece of paper on the bedside table under the calculator phone from last night. The note reads, "Amber's Spots," followed by a list of different locations around the city and their relevance to me. I skim over it in hopes that a name will ring a bell, but I come up blank. Eager to get out of the apartment, I bypass a shower and head out in the clothes I'm already wearing.

I creep down the hall, praying not to run into anyone. Luckily, the apartment is silent when I walk down the stairs. My stomach growls as I pass the kitchen, but I beeline for the elevator instead. The first stop on the list is a place called Big Ben's Diner, so I assume I can grab something there.

When the doors close behind me, I'm met with my new reflection again. Mirrors line the walls of the car, and I check myself out from all angles. I lift a hand, and my reflection follows. I stick my tongue out; mirror me does, too. The mature features aren't as jarring this time; I can see me in the face that stares back.

I zip up my coat just as the elevator stops and opens on the lobby level. People float in and out the revolving door, letting a steady stream of cold air filter through the entryway. As I pass the front desk, I'm met with happy smiles. I stare blankly before remembering I'm supposed to know these people, then throw them a halfhearted wave.