Chloe | Roller Rink Rivalry

Roller Rink Rivalry

Roller Rink Rivalry

"Need a hand?"

Chloe stifled a laugh when Carter lost his footing and nearly face planted onto the rink. All around them, kids skated by as bad eighties music blasted from the ancient speakers. When he righted himself, Carter had annoyance written all over his face.

"No thank you," he said politely, but Chloe caught the irritation in his tone. Where most would take the hint and move on, Chloe did the opposite. She skated over to the wall and leaned against it, using her elbows for support.

"Are you sure? I can call Amber over if you want. I'm sure she'd be open to more students." Chloe knew she was on the rink somewhere with Mark, helping him carefully around the laps.

She bit back a satisfied grin as Carter's head shot up. It was the thing that intrigued her the most about him: his fixation on Amber. She had noticed it immediately after her first week at Susquehanna Middle, the way he would stare over at their lunch table or linger nearby during after school pick up.

It was a weirdness that went both ways; Amber tried to hide it, but Chloe noticed how she avoided him at all costs. But what solidified her curiosity was Mark's reaction to it all. When she had asked about it near the beginning of the year, he nearly bit her head off, insisting nothing was going on with Carter and Amber.

That was the final clue that something was definitely going on, and Chloe was determined to find out what. She knew the best way to crack a case was to start with the weakest link.

Hence, her interest in Carter.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he stammered. Chloe didn't know much about poker, but she could tell Carter would suck at it. The kid wore his thoughts on his face. Even now, his eyes flickered through the crowd of skaters. Searching.

"Try a little more to your left," she encouraged.

His head snapped around to glare at her. "I already said I don't need any help. Just go away."

"Well, what if I like this spot?" Chloe asked with a shrug. "It is a free country, Carter. You can't make me leave if I don't want to."

"Fine, I'll go." With a determined glint in his eye, he pulled himself along the wall and away from Chloe. She stared after him, shaking her head. If only he understood how easy it all could be. The sooner he told her his secret, the sooner Chloe could move on with her life.

Until then, Operation: Break Carter was in full effect.

"He doesn't like you, you know."

Chloe barely suppressed a groan before turning to face Tori. It was annoying how pretty she was; even at the greasy skating rink, she looked fresh in a clean yellow tank top and matching plaid skirt. Her hair was pulled back in a low bun at the base of her neck, with a few loose curls framing her face. She even had a little makeup on, something most girls in their grade wouldn't dare try.

"I don't need him to like me." Chloe let her eyes pass languidly over the rink. "Not all of us need a thousand friends, unlike someone I know."

Tori skated around until they were face to face. "Well that's good news for you since you don't have any."

"I've got all the friends I need, and I'm not looking for any new ones. So why don't you tell me what you want so I can go back to enjoying my Sunday."

It was subtle, but she caught Tori's eye twitch. Chloe knew not many people stood up to Tori, which only made her want to do it more.

"I'm just telling you that Carter's never going to ask you to be his girlfriend, so you might as well give up now."

Chloe rolled her eyes, but leaned in close, like she was preparing to tell a secret, "Good thing I don't like boys."

Then, she pushed off the wall and left Tori in the dust. Unfortunately, she couldn't help glancing over her shoulder to catch the flicker of annoyance flash across Tori's face. She didn't let herself linger, though; looking at Tori for too long was dangerous.

Chloe would never admit it to anyone, but she thought Tori looked prettiest when she was mad.