Chloe | Thelma and Louise

Thelma and Louise

Thelma and Louise

"Do you know how to get to the Quick Mart?" Chloe asked, playing up a Korean accent for good measure. Years of mimicking her parents were good for something after all.

"Kid, this is the Quick Mart," he replied curtly. Chloe wrinkled her nose at the smell of his breath and silently wondered when he showered last. His ratty, white T-shirt was covered in orange stains, while his hair hung limply in clumped strands. Her eyes slid down to his nametag: Bill.

"Oh. Er, I meant the Super Mart. Sorry, I am new in town." She covertly scanned the aisles behind her for any sign of Amber. This had been her idea in the first place, and Chloe asked herself for the ninth time why she agreed to play distraction. This was her first time stealing anything, but already she could tell the person who swiped had the easier job.

Bill eyed her impatiently over his Sudoku book, his pencil poised and ready. He didn't seem in the mood to deal with Chloe, which only made her job harder.

"It's on the other side of town. Wouldn't make much sense having two convenient stores next to each other now would it," he said.

"No, I suppose not. I guess I still got a lot to learn about this place." Not her best dialogue work, but she was running out of material. If Amber didn't hurry, she'd have to do something drastic. She wasn't eager to do something drastic.

"It's a small town. It ain't that difficult," Bill said, tapping his finger pointedly against the counter. She could tell the dreaded question was on the tip of his tongue.

Are you going to buy something?

Shuffling from behind her prompted Chloe to turn, just in time to catch Amber hobbling towards the exit. She had to bite her lip to stop from laughing; Amber was waddling like a penguin with severe constipation. The only issue was, Chloe's part of the plan wasn't going so well.

And it looked like it was only getting worse. She stared too long, drawing Bill's attention away from her and straight to Amber. Unfortunately for Chloe, Bill was smarter than he looked. He put two and two together instantly.

"Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing?!" he hollered. Amber was hustling before the last word left his mouth. She hobbled faster towards the door, but still not fast enough. Chloe knew if she didn't do something, they'd both be caught.

It seemed the time for drastic had come.

Before she could chicken out, Chloe reached forward and grabbed the shelving unit that held the candy and gum. She yanked it away from the counter and jumped back as it clattered to the floor. Of course, the whole unit was made of glass; it shattered on impact, sending shards scattering across the floor and nearly cutting Chloe through her sandals.

"You little bitch, get back here!" Bill screamed as Chloe bolted for the door. Her heart was in her throat as she ran past Amber, yanking her by the arm. The two burst through the door and clambered out to the parking lot, Amber still weighed down by the stolen goods. They hadn't escaped unscathed, but the mission was still victorious.

And to think, Chloe laughed to herself as they ran back down the street, I've only known this girl for a week.