Mark | Diner Dilema

Diner Dilema

Diner Dilema

Mark clenched his teeth as he strode up to table seven. He had begged one of the other servers to switch with him, but Barry was very specific when it came to assigning tables, and anyone caught adjusting sections was subject to losing all tips for the day — something Mark couldn't afford.

Which was how he found himself standing at table seven, a large booth occupied by a few guys from the soccer team. Carter had been smiling before Mark made his way over, but that fell the second he started passing out the menus.

Clearing his throat so his voice didn't squeak, Mark began his usual spiel. "Welcome to The Pink Whale, my name is Mark and I'll be your server—"

"Do they sell those hats here?" Clay Richards interrupted.

Mark's brow furrowed before he noticed Clay's eyes glued to a spot just above his forehead. His cheeks flamed when he realized Clay meant his uniform hat: a bright pink styrofoam whale, the restaurant's mascot.

"Excuse him, he's just an idiot." Aiden Williams shot Clay a look from across the table.

"Dude, I'm serious. It's a dope hat. I would totally wear that thing to school."

"No one here thinks you're lying. Doesn't change the fact you're an idiot." Tanner Smith rolled his eyes good naturedly. Clay threw him the finger.

"Can I start you off with something to drink?" Mark pushed on, trying at a smile. He didn't want the interaction to last any longer than it needed to.

"That's a good look on you, Anderson," Darren drawled, eyeing Mark's colorful get-up. He was the other reason for Mark's shot nerves. Though Darren had kept his word about leaving him alone, Mark still felt apprehensive around him.

"See? Don't you think I'd look good in that?" Clay piped up again, gesturing to his own short frame.

"Like a million bucks." Darren flashed him an amused smile.

"You would know," Aiden pointed out, and most of them broke out in laughter; Carter wasn't one of them.

"C'mon guys, just order already," he said shortly, still refusing to meet Mark's eye. Not that Mark was trying to catch it; his eyes were glued to his notepad, eager to take their orders and go.

Thankfully, they placed their food and drinks all at once. When Mark grudgingly turned to Carter, he only ordered a coffee, black.

"Will that be all?" Mark asked, primarily because he was supposed to. Barry didn't like when people skimped out on food.

"That's it," Carter said, his words clipped.

Darren's answer was similar as he declined even a drink.

"I'll pass. I'm good with just hanging out." His mouth slipped into a grin that didn't quite reach his eyes.

Mark didn't stick around to see if either of them would change their minds.

As he inputted the table's orders into the POS, Mark's finger hesitated over the bagel icon. The Carter he remembered was a big eater, and he was surprised to find he felt bad bringing him only the coffee. It was weird how Mark still remembered little things like that, and it struck a reluctant chord of nostalgia.

Mark didn't like to think about Carter. In recent years, he'd started to feel more and more guilty about the whole thing. But now, it felt too big, especially on top of everything else in his life. There were more important things he had to deal with than reconciling his past mistakes.

He checked in on their table only once, then avoided it altogether. Mark tried to keep his mind occupied while they ate, but he just couldn't shake the anxiety of having them at his job. He didn't even know why he was so anxious — he just wanted them to leave already.

When Tanner finally waved him down for the check, Mark let out a sigh of relief. He printed it quickly and placed it towards the middle of the table, but Darren snatched it up.

"On me, guys." Darren made a show of opening his wallet, flashing a fat stack of twenties before removing four bills. It was twice the amount of the check, but he didn't hesitate handing it over to Mark. "Keep the change."

Mark clutched the bills like a lifeline. Making sure to keep his movements subtle, he pocketed the tip. The diner's policy was to pool them at the end of shifts, but Mark needed every cent. It was more than he made on even a good day, which gave him an idea. The thought of doing anything for Darren made his stomach roll, but as his tip indicated, he had what Mark needed more than anything.

He stepped aside as the group cleared out of the booth. Carter passed him without a word, and Mark again felt a twinge of regret. For a split second, he considered stopping him and apologizing for it all. He'd never admit it, not even to Amber, but deep down, Mark actually missed him. Not for the first time, he wondered how his life would be if Carter were still in it.

But deep down, Mark knew it wouldn't make a difference.

Instead, he caught Darren by the sleeve, who seemed to be dawdling behind the group anyway. Steeling his nerves, Mark kept Darren's wallet in mind before choking down his pride.

"Um, hey. I know it's kinda early, but did you need some tutoring? For the, uh, the SATs, I mean."

Darren sized him up before his eyes skirted around the restaurant. Whatever he saw, he must've liked, for the same smile from before graced his lips when he looked back at Mark.

"You know what, Anderson? Your help is exactly what I need."