Chapter Seventeen

"No, you listen to me

"No, you listen to me. If the Senator isn't at his fundraising event smiling wide for the cameras — with his wife standing proudly at his side — heads will roll, and I already know who's first in line."

Tori paces back and forth while I watch warily from a chair across from the couch. We're in the same room Chloe and I sat in the day of my surprise visit, but the decorative pillows are pointedly on the couch instead of the floor. Chloe rolls her eyes when she comes back from the kitchen with a platter of chips and salsa, then settles onto the couch.

"She always gets like this during election years," she whispers over the coffee table, gesturing towards her pissed off wife. "Just try to duck if she throws something."

"Sure, sure, that's a totally normal request. One question though. Where is he?"

Chloe scrunches her brows. "Who?"

"Ashton Kutcher. That's what this is, right? You've roused him out of retirement and this is the series premiere of Punk'd Rebooted. Go ahead, cue the cameras." I crane my neck to check under my chair in hopes of finding one.

"Why are you like this?" she asks, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Did you hear anything I said in the car?"

"Oh I heard it, Chlo. Especially the part where she tried to kill you over a cheer flip," I hiss, though my eyes don't waiver from Tori. She's balancing her phone between her shoulder and ear as she undoes the top buttons of her work shirt. I know she can't hear me over the stream of expletives flying out her mouth, but I'm not taking any chances.

"This is insane." I lean in closer to be sure Chloe can hear me. "How the hell are you married to Tori fucking Whitfield?"

Chloe starts to answer, but a phone falls in her lap and cuts her off. Tori walks around the couch, then slouches into it, catching one of the pillows before it hits the ground. Her feet come to rest in Chloe's lap, who promptly removes her shoes and begins massaging a foot.

"If I have to deal with one more cheating politician ready to throw his life away for any penny-worthy pussy that shows interest, I'm gonna blow my brains out," Tori sighs, squeezing her temples.