Epilogue

It's hot as balls out here, but that doesn't stop Mark from sweeping me up in his arms

"We did it!" he shouts, throwing a fist in the air. His cap digs into my ribs as he spins us, but I'm laughing too hard to care. "We tricked them into letting us walk!"

"Our greatest con yet," I say once he finally sets me down.

"A true miracle," Mark adds dramatically, gesturing to his gown.

You have no idea.

The football field is a sea of baby blue as our class searches for loved ones and friends. There's not a cloud in the sky, the sun blaring, making me sweat like a whore in church. Unzipping my own gown, I sigh with relief as the wind rustles the white dress underneath. My cap is long gone, lost during the toss, but I'm actually thankful for it. No need to help my blowout frizz up any further.

"You know, I'm thinking it was the community service hours that set you over. You were pretty charitable this year."

Mark rolls his eyes and links his arm with mine. "Yeah, that tends to happen when the service is court ordered."

"Better than the alternative." Meaning serious jail time. It wasn't far from reality following the night of the party, but thanks to private defenders and a desperate DA, Mark got off with two years probation plus his community service. It's better than any of us were expecting, including Mark's attorney. Just goes to show dealing with the Wexlers is always the right choice — more specifically, testifying against them.

I let him lead the way as we trek back to the bleachers. The administration sat us alphabetically by last name, landing us both as far from the entrance as possible. As we push through the crowd, my eyes scan every passing face, but there's no sign of Carter. The chairs aren't sectioned off by letter, but I know we have to be near the H's at this point. There's Hannah Hardy, still snapping pictures with other girls from the squad by her seat, but the chair next to them is empty. He complained about their placement together all week, so I'm not too surprised he dipped.

I am surprised by the body that rams into us from behind.

"It's finally over, bitches!" Chloe screeches in my ear, throwing her arms around our necks. "God, can't you smell the freedom!"