Carter | Answered Prayers

Answered Prayers

Answered Prayers

Carter didn't walk in straight away.

There wasn't much to the small hospital church: a few pews, a small dais at the front, and a collection of candles around the perimeter. They were the only source of light in the room, leaving the pane glass windows dark and indistinguishable. He could just make out the figure sitting in the middle row, but Carter would recognize her anywhere.

He couldn't tell if Amber was actually praying or not, so he decided to take his time. His head was still all over the place, both from the events of the day and what Mark said in the waiting room. Staring at her profile silhouetted by the candles, Carter wanted more than anything for it all to be true. Every sweet word.

Of all the things I wanna say to you, number one is that I love you.

"There's a draft."

Carter jumped when Amber spoke, her voice echoing in the empty room.

"What?"

"It's warmer in here than in the hall," she finally looked over her shoulder at him with a soft smile, "In case you were going for discretion."

"Damn, sorry." He let the door close behind him, cringing at being caught. "The cops told me you were in here, but I can come back—"

She motioned to him with a wave of her hand. "No, it's ok. Come sit."

Maneuvering between the aisles, Carter's heart was racing by the time he reached the seat next to her. The pew creaked under his weight, but she still scooted closer until their thighs were touching — which did nothing to steady his pulse.

"Were you praying?" he asked, glancing around the church. Carter didn't remember her being religious growing up, but who knew what life changes she'd made since then. He was excited to learn each one.

"Not really... I don't actually know how to. This just seemed like a good place to think. Quiet." Amber looked at him expectantly. "How'd it go?"

"Mark? It went—" Better than Carter was expecting, honestly. After years of playing out the moment in his head, it was still surreal that they had finally cleared the air. Of course, part of him was still cautious. Did he trust that Mark would fully accept him now? Not really. Only time would tell. He didn't want to get Amber's hopes up too high, so he settled with the truth. "Ok. We're ok."