Chapter Twenty Four

I pull my coat tighter around my body as we step out of the diner

I pull my coat tighter around my body as we step out of the diner. We've been lucky the last couple of days, but winter always keeps its grip pretty tight on Susquehanna, even this late into March. The pale sunlight trying to break through the overcast is no match for the bite of the wind whipping through the parking lot.

My cheeks feel especially raw, still damp with tears. After Ben blew out his candles, I excused myself to pull a Dad and cry in the bathroom. I'm pissed that my mom — Emily — still has an affect on me at all, but it wasn't really her I was crying about. I've been faced with plenty of lies in the last few days; none have hurt the same as learning my life was the biggest one of all.

It's just Ben and I, and even though neither of us say anything, we both know to stop and teeter on the edge of the sidewalk. It feels like just yesterday that we'd sit out here after meals, throwing rocks across the asphalt to see whose went the farthest. Rule of thumb was always to stay out of the way, so this became the spot to wait while our parents paid.

His parents.

I sniff against tears that threaten to perform an encore. "So, what? This makes you my—"

"Brother," Ben says firmly.

I nod, using my coat sleeve to wipe under my eyes. Despite everything, a small smile tugs at my lips. "Damn, and here I thought this was my chance to finally get rid of you."

He lets out a shaky laugh. "Hate to break it to you, but you're stuck with me for life." Ben's eyes shift to a spot behind me, his smile fading. "But I'm not the only one who's still your family, Amber."

I don't bother turning around. I can picture Dad just fine, standing at the counter to pay, his movements slow and unhurried as always. After coming back from the bathroom, I walked straight past the booth without a word and stood by the door until Ben joined me. A small part of me is still hoping Carter will get here before he's finished paying.

"He lied to me." I hate the fact that I'm getting used to saying that.

"I know he did. I also know he'd change the past if he could."