Chapter Fourteen

I gasp as consciousness slams into me

Instantly, I reach across the bed, but when my hand comes up empty, my head snaps to the side. Instead of Brynn curled up against me where I left her last night, all I find are disheveled sheets.

Save me.

The thought sends adrenaline pumping through my veins. Before my mind has time to catch up, I'm moving. I swing my legs over the side of the bed and start to sprint across the room.

Emphasis on start. Before I can get far, my foot collides with something hard and I go tumbling to the ground. I suck in a sharp breath and instinctively grab my foot. Whatever I kicked, it's solid as a rock — and loud.

"Shit." Carter's shout sounds muffled. I squint through the pain and find him huddled on the floor, clutching his face. He struggles to untangle himself from the small sleeping bag wrapped around his legs. I recognize the Spiderman print from the many sleepovers we had as kids.

"Carter, what the fuck," I squeeze out, massaging my toes.

"What happened?" He checks his nose, pressing it lightly to see if it's broken, before turning worried eyes on me. "Are you okay?"

"Why are you on the floor?" I ask, bewildered.

"I was trying to avoid getting kicked awake or something," he grumbles under his breath.

"And what better place to avoid feet than the ground, right?"

"Look," he finally gets the sleeping bag off and leaves it in a crumpled heap near the door, "I was just trying to be close by in case you had a nightmare, but I figured you wouldn't appreciate me climbing into bed, all things considered."

The nightmare. Panic rises in my chest as I remember why I got up in the first place.

"Where's Brynn?" I ask, ignoring the pain in my foot to search the room. It's not one I know well; I felt weird going into Carter's bedroom last night, so I chose Andrew's old one instead. It's been years since he's lived here, even in my teenage timeline, so it feels more like a guest room. After the flood of emotions from last night, I wasn't ready to deal with the memories Carter's room would've undoubtedly brought up.