Asthma Attack

Peter Stark was five years old when he experienced his first asthma attack. It's a night that he and his father will probably never forget. It was a Saturday and the sun was setting by Stark Tower while the young stark was running around the common room, ironman plushie in hand.  Tony had started to notice the small rasping sounds coming from the child but didn't think much of it. Then only a moment later, the rasping turned into wheezing. 

      "Daddy." The five-year-old whines while running towards his father. "It hurts." The billionaire set down his tablet and brought his son into his arms. 

      "What hurts baby?" Tony asks concerned. He brushes a few stray hairs away from Peter's golden eyes and motions for FRIDAY to get a car ready for them. 

      "My chest." Harsh coughs take over the small child's frame as he continues to struggle for breath. 

      "Okay, bambino." Tony coos. "We're going to go on a little trip okay?" The elder stark grabs Peter's beloved blanket and rushes off towards the elevator. 

      " 'm scared, daddy." Peter whines as he digs his head into his father's chest. 

      "Don't worry baby, I'm not going anywhere." Once the father-son duo makes their way to the garage, they climb into Tony's specially made self-driving car. "To the nearest hospital Fri." Tony commands. "You're doing great, Petey. Keep taking nice big breaths for me." The child starts to break down in his father's arms. 

      "What's going on?" The five-year-old asks nervously. 

      "I think it's an asthma attack, but don't worry because the doctors are gonna help you feel so much better." Tony says calmly. 

      "We have arrived sir." FRIDAY announces. 

      "Thanks, Fri." Tony says quickly before making his way out of the car and into the emergency room. He rushed towards a lady at the reception desk with Peter held close to his chest. "I need help." He says simply. "My son can't breathe, I think it's asthma." 

      "Okay then, if you'll please follow me." Tony is quick with following the nurse through a set of doors. She leads them to the pediatric ward, where Tony sets Peter on one of the vacant beds. 

      "Can you sit by me, dada?" Peter asks nervously. 

      "Of course I can, baby." Tony picks up Peter and sits him on his lap. Peter leans into his father's chest and lets out a few more raspy breaths. A team of doctors enters the tiny room and attempts to pry Peter from his dad's arms. 

      "DADDY!" Peter screams, which results in another coughing fit. 

      "Hey guys, slow down." One of the doctor's instructs. "A lot is happening to him at once, at least let him sit with his dad." Tony shoots the doctor a grateful smile and the doctor smiles back. "Smith I need you to grab the nebulizer, this is an obvious asthma attack. Griffith I'm going to need an IV stand and bag to help with the chest pain." The doctor then turns to Tony. "Sorry about them, they're not usually in the pediatric ward." 

      "Thank you for stepping in." Tony says meaningfully. He continues to rub circles on Peter's back, successfully getting him to relax. The same doctor walks over to Peter and Tony again, an IV needle in his right hand. 

      "This will help with the chest pain, and hopefully help calm him down more." The doctor reaches for Peter's hand, which the child reluctantly hands over, and positions the needle over his hand. Tears continue to roll down Peter's cheeks as the doctor looks for a good vein. 

      "Relax, Petey. This will make you feel so much better." Tony says while planting kisses onto Peter's head and face. The doctor is quick with inserting the needle while Peter is distracted and starts to set up the nebulizer. Once the machine is running properly he places the mask over Peter's face with a smile.