Chapter 10: On The Road Again

*Sean's POV*

Charles drives up to the Reynolds house and pulls over. Chris and Daniel jump out the back and start playing in the snow, (Y/N) follows as she climbs out. "Looks like Daniel found a new brother..." Charles said as we watch them run around. "No kidding...He dumped me like a rock..." I said as I watch them then I look over and see (y/n) leaning against the truck for a moment before she joins the boys as she starts to act like a zombie. "Argh...I'm a zombie! I'm here to eat your brains." She said and the boys squeal as they run from her then start throwing snowballs at her.

"I'm glad you three came along...It's great that Chris found a new friend out here..." Charles said and I nod at him. "So...what's the story between you and the girl?" He asked me. "Oh...uh....we're just...just friends...." I said. "Oh...well....I've just noticed how close you two are. I just didn't know if there was something going on." He said and I give a small smile to this.

"Anyway...It's good for me to get out too...We've had a rough time over the past couple of years...My wife, Emily...She died two years ago. Obviously, it was tough on Chris..." he admits. "Shit...I'm sorry, man..." I said to him. "Thanks...It's been a struggle...Especially...trying to be a good dad..." he said. "You're...doing your best...Chris is awesome. And...he's got a wonderful imagination..." I informed him. "Thanks for saying that...Chris does have talent...he's a storyteller." Charles said.

"Yeah. He showed up when I was drawing at the market. He gave me some tips..." I said to him. "When I look at you and Daniel...how close you two are...I realize I'm far from being up to the task. Chris deserves a real family. Anyway...I shouldn't have brought this up. Okay...Forget it..." he said then he turns his head.

"Do you have some...kind of problems?" I asked him. "I'm just...not the man I was...I shouldn't even have brought this up, you know just forget it..." he said, embarrassed. "No worries...Didn't mean to make you feel bad..." I said.

"We all have our ups and downs, right? That's how life works. Your grandparents sure did have their share of downs, too...But they're always there for us. For Chris. They seem like good people." Charles said to me.

"Chris talked to me and (y/n)...He said that...you sometimes lose it...When you're drunk." I said and his eyes widen at this. "Oh, fuck..." He mutters, distraught.
"Maybe...You should get some help...Don't handle this alone..." I said and he sighs.
"Shit. Maybe you're right. His grandparents...my wife's parents. They offered me their help and...They want Chris to go live with them. I haven't replied yet. Maybe I could...s-send him away for a little while. Give me time to get my shit together..." he said and I nodded. "Might do him good. Yeah..." I said.

"I know I gotta do better. I can't let pain define who I am. Everyone has to go through some shit...But they're always there for us. For Chris. They seem like good people." He said. "Yeah, my...my mom left my dad a long time ago...she...never came back...She broke all ties with her parents, too..." I said as I look down. "Sorry for bringing that up." He said.

"It's okay. I hope they don't stress out because we haven't come back..." I said and he nods. "Yeah, we should get you three home...Don't keep them waiting." He said and I nod. "Yeah..." I said and I get out of Charles' truck then I turn around to look back at Charles.

"Oh and...Uh...Thanks...for your honesty. I'll try my best to be a better...dad...for Chris." He said and I nod at him then I turn around towards Daniel, Chris and (y/n). "Hey buddy, wanna set up that Christmas tree?" Charles asked Chris as he runs up to the truck.
"Yeah!" He said. "Well, I'll get there before you with my Dadmobile!" Charles said and Christ smiles. "No way you can beat Captain Spirit!" Chris said then he turns to Daniel and said. "See you later, Superwolf!" Then Chris flies off towards his house, Charles steadily behind him in the car.