Chapter 18: Highway To Haven

So the...the wolf brothers were split apart...the oldest Wolf was badly hurt...but, with the help from the fox, nothing would stop the wolf from following his brother's tracks...

Fuck, it's hot! I thought as Sean and I walk on the side of the road. I was wearing shorts and a tank top while Sean was wearing his pants with a sleeveless shirt, both of us were wearing our backpacks and damn did it feel heavy. 

"Okay...still a few hours away from Haven Point...we're almost there..." Sean informs me as I sighed. "If we make it there, alive, and not turn into fried chickens." I said as I look down at my sunburned skin. "I know...I'm burning up too. Maybe there might be some shade at the next billboard." He said and we continue on and come upon a billboard with some shade.

"Yes! Shade!" I groaned as we get into the shade and set our backpacks down. "My feet are killing me." He groans as he sits down and leans against a large boulder while I lay down on my back and draped my right arm over my eyes. "Feels like hiking in hell!" I groaned. "Agreed." He said and I let out a sigh. "Even though I normally hate it but...I wouldn't say no to an ice cold bath right now." I remarked and Sean chuckles. "Or a pool at least." He said and I giggle. "Fuckin' A....yes!" I said as I continue to lay there until I heard a pen running across some paper.

I lift up my arm and look over to see him starting to draw and I began to giggle. "Wow...even in this intense heat and with one eye, you're still drawing." I said, impressed. "Well, I've never drawn a desert before. Plus this place is so empty, there's no way I can mess up my depth perception." He replied and I laid my head back down. "Got me there." I said as I laid my hands on my stomach and closed my eyes as I listen to him running his pen over the paper.

I began to hum a song when I heard him put away his sketchbook and started to dig around in his bag. "Hey, Vixen! Here!" He said and I open my eyes and look over to see he was holding out a water bottle to me. I sit up and take the bottle. "Thanks." I said and I drank from my bottle and he drank from his bottle. 

Once I finished taking a few sips of water, I hand the bottle back to him and he puts them in his backpack. "I guess we better get going." He said as he starts to get up. "Damn it, already?" I asked as I look up at him as he puts on his backpack. "Yeah, we still got a long way to go." He said and I sigh with disappointment. "Okay..." I said as I get up, grab my backpack and put it on and we continue our walk.

Suddenly, we hear a horn behind us and both of us look over and see a diesel truck coming up behind us. "Is he honking at us?" I asked as the truck continued to honk at us. Then the truck passes us but starts to slow down. "He's stopping!" Sean said and we start to run toward the truck once it pulled up to the side of the road and stopped. 

"Truckers can't be cops, right?" Sean asked me. "I don't think so." I said as I shrug and we make it to the passenger door of the truck. Sean then places his hand on my shoulder and I look over at him. "Just...get ready to run...if he's a freak." He said. I nodded as Sean gets up to the door and opens it to reveal an older guy driving it. "Hey! You two need a lift? It's too damn hot to be walking." He said and Sean and I share a look before I nodded at him.

We look back at the trucker and said. "Yeah, thanks..." 

"Hold up..." Sean said to him then gestures for me to get up first. I get in and sit down before I scoot over and let Sean get in. Once inside, he closes the door and sits next to me in the passenger seat, which was pretty big, and the trucker starts to drive.

"You two look like shit...your eye okay, young man?" He asked Sean. "Nah...it's gone." Sean said. "Hmmm...okay. Tough shit. And what about your hand there, ma'am?" He asked me as I look down at my scarred hand. "It's getting better." I said and he nods as Sean and I lean back in the chair.