Chapter 24: Last Miles

Karen lead the boys and I back into the canyons as the sun was setting. "We should've camped near that little creek. It was so perfect." Sean said to his mom as we started to walk up. "Nah, you'll need a good night's sleep after all this...and the car is just half a mile down the path." Karen said. "This place makes for a pretty cool bedroom, though." I said. "Yeah....I'm beat." Daniel said, tired. "Aww, sorry. Just got one last thing to show you guys." She said as we continued on.

"I can't get enough of this place..." Sean said as we looked at the beautiful scenery. "Yeah, me either." I said and I take his hand in mine, he smiles then he kissed the side of my head as Karen gets up on this tall ledge.
"Come on, Daniel, give me your hand." She said as she leans down and holds her hand out. Daniel jumps and grabs her hand and she pulls him up. Then I get up on the ledge and then Sean comes up after me as Karen started to walk ahead of us.

"Slow down, Mom! You walk too fast!" Daniel said as he goes to catch up. "More walk...less talk! Then you'll pass me up!" She said and we walk up to this incline before she turns to us. "Guys, check this out! Now this is nature's art..." Karen said and wr looked out at the canyons as the skyline was of pink and blue.

"It's so big and pretty!" Daniel said. "And so quiet....except for the birds of prey...shh, listen..." Karen said. "Serious?" Daniel asked. "If we're lucky, yeah." Karen said as we heard bugs buzzing and the birds in the background before Daniel goes to howl into the sky.

"Uh oh! I hear a wolf!" Karen said, pretending to be scared. "Better be careful of hunters out here..." she said. "The Wolf brothers and their friend, the Fox, can't be trapped. You'll help us!" Daniel exclaims as Sean and I share a look and smile.

"You must hike all the time, Mom..." Daniel said. "There's not a lot to do, but that's enough for me...good thing Joan likes to come with me." Karen said. "Oh, I bet she would be fun to go hiking with!" Daniel said. "Well, not when I go too fast. She's all about the journey. But we usually find a good pace....usually." said Karen. "Joan is like Sean, they make art so they stop to look at stuff. You're way more like me, fast!" said Daniel. "Yeah.. I am like you, Daniel. So let's hurry up!" She said and we continued on until we got to this cliffside.

"I love to come here to get away from...Away." Karen laughs. "I bet." said Sean. "It's the best spot." Daniel said. "Yeah, so calm, beautiful and peaceful." I said and Karen smiles. "Let's sit down." She said and the four of us go and sit down to look out at the canyons.

"So, hey...I do appreciate that you guys stuck around this long...thank you." She said to us. "So...now that you know us better...do you kinda regret leaving and everything?" Sean asked her and she looks between her sons. "I made a decision to never have regrets. Although you two and (y/n) would be the best reason. Just know I love you guys so much and I'm proud of who you are. And...where you're going. Even you (y/n), I don't care if your not my child, I love you as well." She said and I smiled. "I appreciate that, Karen." I said 

"By the way, um...if you wanted to...you could come with us...to Mexico." Sean offers to her. "That would be cool..." Daniel said and I nodded. "Yeah, it would." I said and Karen smiles. "I would love to come see you settled into a new home...you're almost there...but...I have to be upfront with you guys. What happened in Haven Point is catching up on us." She said and we stared at her in shock.

"Huh?" Daniel said, confused. "What do you mean?" I asked her. "When we were in town, we saw some stories in the papers...the feds are definitely tracking us down in the region." Karen explains and I look down as I realized what was gonna happen. "Shit." Sean mutters. "And they'll find us." She said and I let out a heavy sighs. "Well, figures...this couldn't last forever. " I grumbled as Sean looks down in disappointment. "So...this is it?" Daniel asked. "Sí, enano." Sean replied. "We'll leave tomorrow."