Chapter 20: Hidden Scriptures

The next day, Sean, Karen and I were sit in her car, which was parked on a junction of Brandy Highway, overlooking Haven Point. "Sure he's gonna show up?" She asked us. "He better. He promised." Sean grumbles. "Well, if he doesn't find us... we'll find him." She said before she sighs. "I can't believe how much crap you guys have been through...Makes me wanna punch in the face each and every asshole that got in your way." She replied.

"Yeah... Good thing we got to meet amazing people, too." I said. "Life on the road is all about that. The sweet encounters." said Karen. "Hope we can see them again someday..." Sean said. "Oh, you will." She said and we sir there for a moment again before she speaks up.

"So, tell me about Daniel. What's he like?" She asked us.  "Well... he's definitely... special." Sean replied. "Hope so. He's your brother, right?" She said just as a car comes into view in the distance. "Heads up." I said and all of us stare at the car. "Is that him?" Karen asked. "Yep. Wait here." Sean said as he and I get out of her car and Jake's car drives up to us then stops and parks. 

Jacob, who's clean shaven now, emerges from his own car and his passenger walks out of the car as he exclaims. "Sean! (Y/n)!" He exclaims. "What happened?" He asked us, referring to Sean's eye. "Jake... (y/n) and I are not mad. But you better explain everything." Sean said to Jake, firmly. "I didn't know where else to go..." Jake replied as he looks down, shyly, then looks back at us.

"Listen, I...I saw Daniel come back to the camp that night... like he was in shock or something... Then I heard all these sirens, and... I got scared... I just-- I packed a few things, I-- I took a blanket from your tent, and we-- we left together. I also kept the cash you guys made on the farm. Uh, it's in my car." He said as he gestures towards his car.

"You did right, Jake... Thank you." I said to him. "She's right...thank you." Sean said and Jake smiles and nods at this. "You guys have no idea what he looked like when I found him that night...He was in bad shape, with a gunshot wound... and all by himself. I... I-- I couldn't just leave him there." Jake admitted. "It's okay, Jake." I said, calmly.

"What about the others? Hannah, Penny, Cassidy... What happened to them?" Sean asked him. "They-- they ran over to Merrill's place when they found out Finn was gone... That was the last time I saw them. Then on our way out here, Daniel told me more of what happened that night. How scared he was...The blast... Daniel feels he's gotta redeem himself for what he did." Jake replied.

"We need to get to him, Jacob. He's not guilty of anything... we should've protected him better." Sean said and I take his hand in mine. "I shouldn't have been the asshole to say let's go along with it once we got there. Things might've been different, if we just told them no." I said but Sean slightly shakes his head at this before I look over at Jake.

"So you came back here after you escaped... but with a dazed little boy... and everybody was cool with that?" I asked him. "Trust me, it was not an easy thing for me to come back. And yeah, they took us in. That's what they do here... They take people in..." he replied. "Except they didn't want to take us in yesterday." I said, gesturing between me and Sean.

"I'm telling you guys to be careful with the Reverend Mother... She's waited her whole life for somebody like Daniel... The Reverend knows how to manipulate people... She's good at this. He wants to stay with her. Daniel has faith in the Reverend now." Jake said. "Yeah, not afraid of that Lisbeth of yours." Sean said, confidently. "Me either. We're getting Daniel out of here." I said just as I hear a car door shut. I turn around and see that Karen had exited her car and approaches us.

"Come on... There's no way they're gonna let you two take him away." Jake said. "Well, too bad. We're not gonna ask for their permission. You must be Jacob. I'm Karen. Hi." She said and Jake nods at her. "Okay. I don't know if you wanna do this... but I... I have an idea.. I think school must be over by now, but Lisbeth will stay at the church with Daniel for his... special classes... That'll give us time to sneak into the compound before we get to them." Jake informed. "I'll be on lookout... keep watch in case it all goes to shit. Sean, stay on the walkie." Karen said to him. "Sounds like a plan." Sean said as I nodded.