Chapter Four

Nina Devereux, grandmother (Nona) to Edie, Isla and Arlo Devereux, sat at the center of the oak wood council table. The Ravenswood Council consisted of two representatives from every district in Ravenswood with a Devereux witch as leader since its conception by Sarah and Elizabeth Devereux. There were two leaders from The Gates that served as members of the council and representatives for the vampires, Madeline Chen and Andersen Müller. These two vampires were the oldest living vampires who first migrated to Ravenswood from China and Germany.

The two human leaders from Harmony Harbor were members of the oldest human families in Ravenswood. Heath Langford, the youngest brother to Stevie's grandmother, was a staple in the community just like any of the elder Devereux members. The two families had a long and rich history as individuals and as an interconnected group for centuries. Their power and influence in and out of Ravenswood were noteworthy to say the least. Then there was Jefferson Jackson, the other Harmony Harbor representative, who was a descendant of the slaves that once worked for the Dubois' and raised Noni & Akina Devereux. The family was blessed with gifts of hospitality and charm. Outside of that, they were and always have been a respectable group of people. The Jackson family owned a long line of noteworthy hotels and spas throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. Many believe their fortune and success had something to do with the Devereux ancestors.

The two wolves that represent Bane's Manor were a bit unruly, but also led the assist needed by the Devereux women in 1979 to secure and protect Ravenswood citizens from witch and vampire hunters in nearby cities. Alaric Farkas and Nicklaus Clell were the strongest wolves of their time and were rumored to both be in love with a certain Devereux witch back in the day. The victory over the hunters is still told in Ravenswood History to date and the pack at Bane's Manor unanimously elected both Alaric and Nicklaus to be their representatives.

The two dragons that represent the Mountain district were Alisha Patel and Alejandro Ruiz. The two were some of the strongest and oldest dragons that resided in Ravenswood and were pivotal in the past wars. Their great-grandparents were all present when Ravenswood was created and the connection between the Devereaux women and the dragons is continuously strengthened because of them.

The final representatives of Ravenswood Council who speak for the witches, warlocks and inhabitants of the Enchanted Forest, from Charmed Circle, consisted of Clarice Wooten and Tamara Kinsey. The Wooten family were known for their unmatched skill in potion work and spells, while the Kinsey line had been most pivotal in the saving and protecting of many family members during the Great Massacres in Salem. Both families were esteemed and valued among the coven and the supernatural beings in all of Ravenswood as a whole.

Then there was Nina. The Devereux women were known for their beauty, but equally so for their intelligence. They knew the importance of democracy, but also of perception. A Devereux woman could never be a representative. She was truly there as leader and guide to any issues that arose in and around the community that impacted any member in any way. If there be an issue that resulted in a tie, then and only then, could a Devereux woman vote. However, ties rarely ever happened. The council though very different, typically agreed on matters...except this one.

"Quiet down everyone!" Nina stated. There was no need for a javelin when it came to Nina Devereux. Her voice was demanding in a strong, but caring way. "Lady Devereux, it is one thing to have one new family presented, but two? This is unprecedented!" Clarice Wooten exclaimed. "How were we supposed to know the wolves were going to also have a familial request?" Andersen Müller questioned. "...At least ours are actually family." Alarick muttered not so quietly. "What was that?" Chairs scraped the wooden floors as the men shot up.

"Get ahold of yourselves!" Nina demanded. Silence fell quickly on the room once more. "Madeline, please bring in your requests." The thin Chinese woman disappeared with quickness to the adjourning room thanks to her vampire speed. As quickly as the door opened it closed with her standing in front of the remaining members of the council with two teenagers. The girl was beautiful and brazen, while the boy held a quiet storm within. "Lady Devereux this is Petra and Paxton Pavlov." Madeline presented.