Chapter Six

Grey sat on the patio of his new home in awe of everything. The entire estate, Bane's Manor, was filled with people that looked like him and his family in the wolf sense. As they drove from the council, Grey watched as families in human and wolf form played outdoors among one another. It made him smile inside, but he held on to his reservations. He didn't trust witches and the town was run by one. He listened to his parents, as they grew more and more enamored by the scene unfolding on every street.

Their new home looked like something off of HGTV woodsmen addition. Cabin style with woodsy interior and design. He knew deep down this was the type of home his family deserved. Odin's nursery was plucked from a designer's dream, while his parents' room was steeped in natural regality. However, his room was unbelievable. It was as if the designer knew him personally. Every inch was decorated in a way that spoke to his introspective nature. He allowed himself a few moments to bask in the positive emotions that overwhelmed as he looked out to the mountains.

"You like it don't you," Tallulah smiled as she sat down at the wooden table with a cop of tea. "It's alright," Grey lied, causing his mother to chuckle. "Grey, we're safe. You can let that impenetrable guard of yours down now." He knew she meant well, but his mother was so very wrong. "You know that's not true, Mom. We're in a "safe haven" run by a witch that is known throughout the entire world as the most powerful. How can you be okay with that?"

Tallulah knew what the Hollow Hunt tragedies did to their family as a unit. It ripped them from their home in Hawaii, forced them to lose their pack members and life, as they knew it. However, she wasn't there when Grey held his younger cousins as they died in his arms. She did not see his face as he watched the witches kill and steal for no purpose other than they could. That day changed them all, but Grey more than any of them. He swore on that day that he would never let a witch come anywhere near his family or him. That day his hatred for all witches was sown and has steadily been tended and growing.

"Grey, I am okay with my children being in a community that is safe because it is protected by magic – good magic and by good witches." Tallulah smiled. "The things we saw should never be seen by anyone, but we saw it and we can choose to grow because of it – not in anger, but in love for what we still have and what we've got to gain." Grey always referred to his mother as a functioning hippie. She saw and believed the good in everyone, which his two-year old brother seemed to follow behaviorally.

Odin didn't meet a single stranger he didn't smile at or like. However, Grey was more like his father. Kai Lowe only cared about his pack. He was always like that even as a child. He knew of other supernatural species, but the werewolf species was above all else in his opinion. Grey was somewhat like that, but after the massacre his belief solidified.

"Grey, you have such a big heart and a warm soul. Please don't let anything or anyone take that from you." Tallulah smiled as she squeezed her son's hand before heading inside. He spent some more time looking at the mountains and smiled to himself as he watched a dragon take flight from an opening on the mountaintop. This place is so weird.

As he settled onto a barstool in the kitchen to begin the mountain of make-up homework that was messengered to their house the doorbell rang. "Hi Mrs. Lowe, my name is Cody and this is Asher. We were wondering if we could speak to Grey." At the sound of his name Grey's interests were peaked and he made his way to the front door. "Grey, this is-" Tallulah began to introduce. "Yeah, Cody and Asher...what's up?" Tallulah made her exit as the two boys awkwardly stood there. "I'm Cody," the dark-skinned boy who couldn't have been less than 6'2" introduced. His shoulder length dreadlocks were pulled back into a low bun and his bright smile let Grey know he was up to no good. "I'm Asher," the pale, freckled boy with crimson red hair introduced.

"So, we were wondering if you wanted to go for a run." Asher asked. Grey knew that Bane's Manor consisted of wolves that were now his pack, but he wasn't in the mood to socialize. He wanted to get his homework done and just go to bed. The events of today still heavily playing on his mind. "Yeah, I'm going to pass on that. I got a lot of work to do." The boys looked dejected, but Asher seemed to understand. "Well if you change your mind we'll be in the Enchanted Forest," Cody offered before leaving with Asher.

"Why didn't you go with them?" This frightened Grey, because no other werewolf knew how to sneak up on someone like Kai Lowe. "Geez, Dad what did I say about you sneaking up on me like that?" Kai laughed as he clasped his hands around Grey's shoulders. "Don't try and change the subject. Why didn't you take them up on their offer?" It was moments like this that Grey hated werewolf hearing. There was no such thing as privacy amongst their family or pack. "I have homework to do and just want to put this day behind me." Grey offered sitting back at the kitchen bar trying to refocus on homework. "Okay, but don't close yourself off to making friends here, Grey. This is our new home and pack." Grey nodded his head in acknowledgement at his father and turned his attention back to his books. It would take him hours to get all of this done, but he was determined to finish it tonight.