Chapter Nine

Margot and Isla parked outside of the Enchanted Forest and made their way towards the center to speak with Otha. Otha was the oldest Ent and the wisest. He is also most versed on all things Orb and Devereux. Margot placed her hand on the large tree and whispered a greeting. He came to life in a few seconds and smiled down at her. "Margot Antoinette, how are you?" Otha smiled. It was apparent that his old age was wearing at him. His branches were still strong and his roots were beyond sturdy, but he seemed tired. "Otha, I am okay, but I need your help." Margot reached out for Isla. "My daughter...she's an Orb."

The mention of Orb had Otha and nearby Ents at attention. "Please, Otha you have to help us. Help train her...get her to control these powers." Margot pleaded. "Margot, you know there is no controlling an Orb." Otha retorted a hint of fear in his voice. "Otha, you trained many Orbs including Celine, Nadia and Lottie..." Otha shook with his retort. "And where are they now? Dead. All of them. I cannot help you!"

Otha and Margot were too busy to notice the pixie messing with Isla. Isla was so drained that fighting off the mischievous minx seemed pointless. Before she could stop her the bracelet was off and she was consumed by the flames. The scream she let out could be heard for miles. Fire came from her throat like she was the fiercest dragon. She was fire and it was stifling her.

From her right she could see three wolves running towards them. The wolf leading the charge, an all-black wolf with fur that she was sure felt as soft as it looked seemed to call to her. It was moments before all three were changed to their human form and standing by her mother. The black wolf, now a long-haired teenage boy, stepped closer to her. "What are you doing, she'll hurt you!" Margot yelled, but he didn't care. The closer he got the hotter the flames became. With each step, Isla screamed louder and louder.

"Stop it right now! You're hurting her!" Otha bellowed. As if under a spell, the boy would not listen. Until he was right in front of her. Flames whipping around them. He looked at her face twisted in pain and did the one thing no one expected. He reached through the flames and grabbed her arms. This contact immediately dissipated the flames. Margot zapped the pixie that stole the bracelet and immediately fastened it back onto Isla's wrist. Isla stood there staring at the boy. "Thank you," she said before the darkness took over and she fainted.

Otha agreed to train Isla after Margot spoke to him about his true gift of teaching and mentoring. Margot needed him to know that he still had it and that Isla could be the one he saved if he tried. Otha picked Isla up in his branches and informed Margot to leave her there with him for the weekend. He would return her home Sunday night. Margot was thankful that there was going to hopefully be some progress in this area.

"What's your name?" Margot asked the boy that managed to save Isla from herself. "Grey. Grey Lowe." She had so many questions, but knew the answer that mattered most. "That's my daughter that you saved. Isla Devereux. Thank you for that." Grey held an expression on his face that was unreadable, but responded with "You're welcome." Margot excused herself and headed back to her car. She had to talk to her mother about this twist of events and what it meant for the coven and Isla.

"Dude, what were you thinking?" Grey was brought back to reality by Cody's question. "You literally walked through fire to save a Devereux witch! You're golden, son!" Grey looked down at his arms and where burn marks should have been but weren't. "Isla Devereux. Who is she?" Grey asked as he turned to see the sleeping girl in the tree. Asher and Cody looked at him as if he were an idiot. "You know that old lady that is still hot for her age that was over your approval meeting with the counsel?" Grey nodded. "That's Lady Nina Devereux. She's the HBIC of this place – just like every other Devereux woman before her. They created this town and you just saved her granddaughter, Isla." Cody informed. "What were you thinking?" Asher inquired. "Weren't you afraid?"

Grey couldn't tell them the truth. He couldn't tell them that fear was the last thing on his mind. He couldn't express that all he wanted to do was save her and brand her right then and there. He couldn't verbalize that this Isla Devereux was his mate, because he couldn't believe it himself.