Chapter Twenty-Nine

Grey and Isla woke up early that morning to access the damage done. Thanks to the barrier spell she knew no one in town or the Enchanted Forest would feel the quakes, but it took her awhile to get the earth to come back together after splitting and trees and rocks to their rightful positions. Isla was a little sore, but nothing a hot bath wouldn't cure. "You should go home and take a bath. I'll take care of this stuff," Grey said motioning towards the tent. "No need," Isla waved her hand and the tent and all of its contents were packed up into the backpack they came in.

"I will never get used to having a witch for a mate." Grey chuckled as he placed the backpack on and carried the picnic basket. "You ready?" He led the way towards the center of the Enchanted Forest. "I have to talk to Otha about something, but you head on in." Snap. "Head on in?" Grey asked and then realized Isla was nowhere to be found. He also realized that he was standing on the front porch of his house. He chuckled to himself and opened the door. "My very own teenage witch."

Isla made her way to Otha and smiled. "Good morning, Otha." Otha smiled down on her. "How can I help you Isla?" She knew she couldn't keep anything away from him, but he was obviously keeping things from her, "What were you and Grey talking about last night?" Otha sighed. "I was telling him to make sure you two keep it down. We have children living in this forest."

Isla blushed profusely at this comment and wanted to wish the ground swallow her whole. The uptick in the corner of Otha's lips let Isla quickly know that was not what they talked about. "Otha!" Isla exclaimed. He burst into laughter before composing himself. "Okay, okay...I was just instructing the young man that the time is almost here when he and Paxton will need to protect you and they must be ready."

"What does that mean?" Isla asked confused. "Just know that the battle that is coming will force you to reevaluate all aspects of your life. I know that you will be ready. I just want you to have faith in yourself. Everything you've experienced has been preparing you for this." Isla knew Otha loved to talk in riddles at times, but she was thoroughly confused. "Okay, Otha...whatever you say."

Isla gave him a shaky smile and teleported back to her house. She needed to find answers and if Otha wasn't going to give it to her, then maybe her mother or Nona would. She knew this had to do with the feelings of dread she was feeling and wanted to be prepared as best as possible for what was clearly on its way.

"How was it?" Stevie bombarded her over the phone. "How was what?" Isla played dumb. "Isla Genevieve Devereux, if you don't quick acting stupid and give me the deets!" Stevie exclaimed causing Isla to chuckle. "It was amazing," Isla gave in. "He set up this beautiful tent in the most romantic spot I never knew existed in the Enchanted Forest. He made a picnic for us to eat afterwards and overall it was perfect." Isla smiled as she relived last night. "So, did it hurt? Did he love the baby-doll I bought? Are you sore?" Isla laughed at her best friend's badgering. "Yes, yes and yes."

Isla noticed her house and it seemed as though she was looking at it for the first time. The colors were so vibrant and pure. She looked around and it seemed like everything was in HD. "What is going on?" Isla asked herself as she made her way inside. "Look what the cat dragged in." Edie smiled. Isla chuckled at her sister as she joined her on the couch. "Tell me everything!"

Isla shook her head with a laugh as she filled her older sister in on the events of the night. "Are you happy?" Edie asked as they stood to head into the kitchen. "Very much so." Isla smiled. "We're happy to hear that darling." Margot said walking out of the pantry. "So, what are we planning for your birthday?" Margot asked as she took muffins out of the oven. "Honestly, I haven't thought about it with everything going on. I mean, do we really need to do anything?"

Edie looked at her sister like she was crazy. "You're having a party, idiot!" Margot tapped her eldest daughter on the shoulder. "Be nice." "I am being nice, which is why I've been planning her birthday party. It's going to be great and no one deserves a celebration more than you do." Isla kissed her sister's cheek and smiled. "You're the best!" Isla squeezed her. "I know." Isla gave her mom a kiss and made her way to her room. "I'm going to take a soak and then we can relax." Isla called over her shoulder. Edie, Isla and Arlo spent the day hanging out together with Arlo until sunset. Isla made her way back to the Enchanted Forest to train with Otha.