Ch 6. More Questions Than Answers

3626 words! And a special thanks to ThatOneWeirdLina! And this is also for her. Thank you so much!

Shoto’s POV

It had been a week since Momo went to the sleepover, yet she wouldn’t talk about it. I knew something happened there though, because (Y/n), though ignoring me and pretending I didn’t exist enough to ask her about her possible scar, wasn’t hiding from me. Maybe your mind was playing tricks on you after all… And Momo let me hold her hand and even her arm occasionally. I felt truly blessed, yet it nagged me. These subtle but huge differences struck me as odd, no complaints of course. So here we were, munching on warm Taiyaki, my left hand holding her right as we idly chatted while walking.

“Hey, Shoto..” I turned to her timid voice and looked at the raven haired girl that had once again made me smile. “Did you ever have any indications of a soulmate..?” I stopped, my stomach turning. I had hoped she’d not ask, I kept the ideas of soulmates on the downlow.

“W-well, yes… When I was eight actually…” I trailed off, thanking above when my phone went off. I grabbed it, looking at the unknown number.

[Unknown- I know you have a fascination with (Y/n). If you go to the benches in front of the school, you’ll be able to see her. But you only have 15 minutes.]

I stared in disbelief. It had to have been a prank message or maybe a trap. Besides, I’m on a lovely date with Momo, I can’t just leave her. She left you for some time with friends she talks to everyday, just apologize and go see her. I frowned and kept walking, battling with the voice in my head.

“Uh, what’s wrong?” I turned to Momo and sighed, giving in.

“I’m sorry, an opportunity came up that I cannot let pass. I’ll see you later.” Upon finishing I took the chance to flee, not even listening to her ask ‘what opportunity?’.

Panting softly I made it a bit from (Y/n) sitting on the bench, one leg sitting under her other. I took a deep breath, suddenly finding it easy to breath. My steps were smaller than ever, and I felt clear anxiety floating through me. “Ugh, finally Mei, you know I ne-” She tilted her head up from her phone and groaned at me. “What are you doing here?” She asked, standing up.

“Wait!” I yelled a bit louder than necessary. “I just need to know...I have so many questions, please.” I sounded like a whining child as I held her arm, but I didn’t want to let go.

“What do you need to know? Wait how about. I need to know. Has Momo been treating you better?” I gasped at the question and nodded. She did have a play in that.. “Good. Now what do you need to know?” Her tone had gone from annoyed to slightly relaxed. I slowly let go of her arm and turned her grabbing her right hand, pulling her sleeve up.

“Oi! The hell?” I blinked at the scar that was prominent on her skin. “You should know that’s not okay to do!” My eyes watered, I did know, and it was against my better judgment but I got my answer, so I decided to finally give her hers.

“Six. I was six... And you were eight.” I concluded, running my fingers over her scar. The stinging in my eye intensified. “But who hurt you?” The look on her face changed from shocked to bashful.

“I did…. I knew you’d be scarred so I… Well… But you. Who caused you so much suffering?” My answer flew from my mouth before I could stop it.

“My dad for the most part… Though the scar on my eye is from my mom during a mental breakdown… She tried to heal my eye after throwing boiling water on me, causing me to scar… Don’t hate her please, she’s amazing.” The tears that had threatened to fall had already started and I scolded myself. Why’d you tell her? You’ve never openingly told anyone! ..Maybe it's because she knows and understands? I wiped my eyes, unaware that the salty liquid was falling on her exposed arm until it wrapped around me in a loving hug.