The Oracles

~There is no happiness for the soul in the external worlds since these are perishable, true happiness lies in that which is eternal, within us.~ Egyptian quote.

Aria felt defiled, she was hurt but more importantly—she was afraid.

'Had she gotten too close?'

'Did he think she was easy because she was a servant?'

It was her fault.

'What was she thinking?'

'Wasn't all the not so colourful things she'd heard about him enough to dissuade her?'

She felt stupid.

Really, what did she think was going to happen.

Her brows furrowed.

'Did she think any good could come from going to his secret lake, waiting for him to show up?'

He was the Crown Prince-now regent. That's almost the same as being Pharaoh.

Her eyes lowered.

But it hadn't stopped her heart from skipping a beat when she'd seen him, sparring by the training court after he'd woken up.

She placed a shaky hand to her lips-he'd kissed her.

She'd been shocked and scared to do anything.

She'd wanted to push him away, run away but her body never responded- and it scared her.

The feel of his hand around her had felt so sudden and the feel of his body against hers was like nothing she'd ever experienced before.

And his lips...him biting her ever so softly...

She hugged her knees and buried her face in her arms.

She felt dirty...he'd made her feel that way.

'What did he want with her?'

She was so confused. She didn't know what to do.

•••

Akhenaten, beneath the lake-a gateway that leads to the underworld-conversed with the Oracles.

Including him, there were seven of them, and they were the Seven Powers of Egypt.

It was that time of the year when a maiden who has known no man would be sacrificed, and Akhenaten was the only one yet to bring them a sacrifice.

"Prince Akhenaten, where is the maiden whom you have chosen that we may satisfy our thirst." Astennu, the god of the moon said urgently in a hoarse voice.

Akhenaten looked round the circle all seven of them formed his cold eyes resting on Astennu.

"How about your Israeli childhood friend, I bet she'll be delicious." Amun, the god of mystery, licked his lip with his forked tongue, golden eyes glinting mischievously.

His orange flame-like hair was hard to miss.

Akhenaten gave him a murderous stare.

That particular prince always seemed to ask about Ahmes, every time they had their ritual meetings.

"She's off-limits," Akhenaten responded slowly his eyes never leaving his.