Scorched Veil

~Man is separated into Soul and Body, and only when the two sides of his senses agree together, does utterance of its thoughts conceived by mind take place.~ Egyptian quote.

Note: Chapter has a 'slightly' dark tone. Readers discretion is advised.

Aria, Achin and Ahura along with the other servants all assembled in the throne room.

They were all fourteen in number, seven on this side, seven on that side.

They were the ones who specifically waited on Pharaoh.

Pharaoh had gone to the temple for a few weeks of meditation, along with a huge chunk of the Royal guards and servants.

The Prince Regent now sat on the throne-he'd been appointed to run the Palace in his absence. Now, she and the other thirteen servants were to wait on him.

Aria's hands shook by her side and she tried to will them to stop.

Her heart pounded loudly in her chest.

It seemed Achin had noticed her nervousness and sent her a reassuring smile.

But there was nothing reassuring about the situation.

All their heads were bowed, so she couldn't see him.

She hoped he didn't notice her but she vaguely recalled that he knew she was Pharaoh's handmaid.

Aria released a breath.

"Aria."

He said her name in his deep quiet voice.

Aria's eyes widened and her heart almost broke through her chest.

'Had she heard right?'

She saw both Achin and Ahura stare at her, a little bit of fear and anxiety in their eyes.

"Go," Achin whispered to her.

Aria's hands were trembling so terribly she had to force them against her thighs.

Slowly, stiffly, she broke out of the line and walked towards him, her head bowed.

When she was right in front of the throne, she stopped but she didn't lookup.

Akhenaten watched her.

•••

Akhenaten watched her from where he sat on the throne, she was the second to the last by his right.

He'd noticed her almost immediately.

Her small stature always gave her away. But he wanted to be alone with her.

"Aria." He summoned her.

He could see her visibly tense.

At first, Akhenaten thought she would not come forward and he was already prepared to go to her himself if she refused when he saw a servant beside her say something to her.

No sooner, she got out of the line and walked slowly towards him.

His eyes remained glued to her till she stopped right in front of him.

He stared down at her from his throne-her head was still bowed.

"The rest of you, leave us." He commanded.

They all bowed low and left.

They were alone.

Akhenaten watched her expecting her to look up and say something but she did neither.