Chapter 3

Berlin

My lungs threatening to burst, but despite my breathlessness I continued to move as fast as my short legs could carry me. I could sense that the man was on my heels, and knew that he could easily sniff me out no matter where I ran. In the back of my mind, I also knew that running away would be fruitless and that his dominant instincts would make him give chase, but in the midst of my panic, my wolf took over and I quickly found myself  tangled in a pile of my own clothes as I struggled to escape.

No! Max's sweater! I can't leave it behind! I thought to myself, kicking my small paws so that they would become untangled. When I was finally free, I grasped the arm of Max's sweater in my teeth with a whimper, dragging it across the floor towards the large and luxurious Pack House kitchen. 

I needed to hide, and quick. I lifted my nose carefully, sniffing softly. I went into high alert as I sensed that the man was close, scrambling into the closest cupboard. I pushed myself as far back as I could go in the small, dark space and when I was safely in the back, I burrowed myself into Max's sweater, tugging it to cover my entire body and whimpering sadly as it engulfed me in his calming scent.

I'm not ready.

I whimpered once more, my body shaking uncontrollably at the sound of heavy footsteps and a deep, dominant growl directly outside of the cabinet that I hoped would save me. The growl sent an involuntary shiver through my spine, the authoritative nature of it making my wolf roll over and show my stomach as my Omega instincts kicked in. 

There was a moment of terrifying silence before the door of the cupboard was completely torn off of its hinges. I froze completely, attempting to stay as still I could underneath the sweater, breathing in Max's soothing scent. However, my attempts proved to be futile, as my limbs betrayed me and I began shaking like a leaf once more as I laid on my back in the pile of fabric.

Suddenly, Max's sweater was yanked away and I was left feeling fully exposed without my security blanket. I looked up in shock, staring up at an extremely large, pitch black wolf. He exuded a power that made my Omega instincts kick into hyperdrive. His eyes were a bright, almost liquid gold color, and filled with an intensity that made me weak in the knees as he stared me down. I was overwhelmed. I couldn't take it.

My paws reached for the sweater in a panic, a whine escaping my throat at the thought of someone else touching it, but my movement was cut short when my tail was caught gently in the jaws of the black wolf.

"Stay still." he said into my mind, crackling weakly through our barely-there link. Unsurprisingly, my body complied immediately and I froze, but it didn't stop there. 

I also unintentionally shifted back due to the rush of emotions I'd been thrusted into, suddenly finding myself completely naked in front of the one person I was trying to get away from.

As tears welled up in my eyes, I grabbed Max's sweater and held it tightly against my chest, curling up in a ball on the ground and attempting to cover my nudity with the fabric as much as I could. 

Defeated.

As I cried, I felt strong arms wrap around be tightly, lifting me up against a broad, sinuous chest. At that moment I didn't care. I didn't have much fight left in me. Letting my inhibitions go for just a moment, I allowed myself a second of reprieve as sweet unconsciousness took over my body.

Osias

|A Short Time Later|

He was terrified of me. That much I knew. However, what confused me was why I gave him so much distress. Hell, I hadn't spoken a single word to him aloud, yet when I attempted to get to him, he ran as if his life was at stake. I'd never heard of someone not being at least slightly excited about finding their mate, but this little minx laying in my bed was throwing me through a loop and a half.