Chapter 8

Berlin

It was like I was sent right back to that day. 

The sight of Max's limp, lifeless body falling to the ground flashed across my eyes, although this time it was Osias in his place. Reassuring myself it wasn't real didn't help, I could still feel every single pang of emotion I'd experienced that day. It was as if my mind suddenly released all of my pent-up emotions since Max's death in one huge tidal wave, and I felt myself being swept up in the current, pushing me under. 

But no matter how much I felt like I was betraying Max, I couldn't seem to let him go. I couldn't deal with another death. Osias couldn't leave me to go fight. I wouldn't let him.

"Who is Max?" Osias whispered in a curious tone, halting his movements as he hovered over me, my face burning underneath his intense gaze. I simply whimpered quietly and covered my face, yelling at myself inwardly at bringing him up.

 I wasn't ready to tell him. I didn't think I would ever be ready, in fact.

After a long moment of silence, Osias's deep, aggravated growl reverberated throughout the room. 

"Tell me goddammit!" he practically screamed out at me in his Alpha tone, causing both my wolf, Casey, and I to flinch. "Did he hurt you? Tell me where he hurt you." He rattled off, the fiery intent behind his words burning in his eyes. 

Although he was being forceful with his words, I understood that he was just worried and wouldn't give up until I told him what he wanted to know. Curse me and my big, emotional mouth.

So, with a large, shaky breath and a wary glance up at my... Mate... I began.

"M-max was my... m-mate..." I whispered, my lungs beginning to burn at the effort it took to keep myself from sobbing hysterically. 

"The rogues. They... th-they... K-...K-killed..." I choked on my breaths, tears spilling over nonstop as I began to hyperventilate, completely incapable of finishing off my sentence. My chest heaved and my skin became clammy, my vision blurry as my face twisted up and I sobbed loudly, feeling utterly hopeless as a heavy dam broke deep inside of me. 

I cried from the depths of my soul, not even bothering to wipe my eyes as I released six months of pent-up emotions in the sobs. I didn't even mind when Osias reached over and tenderly pulled me into his arms, leaning into him as I was desperate for any source of comfort. My tears soaked into his shirt and he just held me silently, running his fingers gently along my spine. 

"Did the rogues... Kill him?" asked Osias after a long moment of hesitation, his voice holding a soft tone I'd never experienced from him. Looking up at him through blurry eyes filled with tears, I was only able to nod solemnly. The banging and screams from outside were drowned out by a loud rushing in my ears, my shoulders slumped in relief as a huge weight lifted off of my heart and fluttered far away.

I'd never talked to anyone about the fact that his death affected me so deeply. When our Alpha, my mate, my Max, was killed, the pack was automatically done for. Everyone mourned for months just as I did, over the loss of our pack, the loss of our beloved Alpha, and the lives of so many who fought for us until the very end. 

I was not the only one that lost someone of utmost importance that day, so I blended into the background and decided to handle my mourning on my own. When we burned his remains and I watched them drift into the winds and roll over the mountains that he loved so much, I knew that I couldn't tell of the love that we shared to anyone else.

But I just did.

Osias's expression was etched with worry as my breathing slowed to normal and my tears fell freely, almost tranquilly, down my face. There was no more struggle left in my body as I looked into his eyes while mine were feeling heavier by the second. They are such a beautiful shade of blue...