The Empty Hearse: Chapter 9

Hurrying through the busy London streets, you, Sherlock, and John all made it quickly to Westminster Station. You bounded down the stairway underground, passing through the gates. You kept your eyes ahead, not drawing too much attention to yourselves as you hurried around corners and down different halls.

"So it's a bomb, then? The Tube carriage is carrying a bomb?" John said once you cleared the main foyer, where there was now slightly less people moseying about. You could see the stress in his face as you turned down another hall that took you further into the station.

"Must be." Sherlock answered. You all kept your quick pace as John reached towards his jacket pocket, fumbling with his phone as he pulled it out of his pocket. Sherlock glanced down at it, furrowing his eyebrows.

"What are you doing?" He leaned towards John to get a look at the phone and John sighed.

"Calling the police." He answered, typing into his phone. You stopped quickly as you reached the spot you'd been looking for. You made your way to a small maintenance gate that was locked off to the public.

"What? No!" Sherlock told John. John looked at him in surprise, but stopped typing on his phone to look over to Sherlock with a serious look.

"Sherlock, this isn't a game. We need to evacuate Parliament." John looked back to his phone as if he was still debating whether or not to listen to Sherlock. You reached your hand back towards Sherlock, who smoothly passed you a tiny crowbar as you cracked open the door in a swift motion.

"They'll get in the way, they always do. This is cleaner, more efficient." Sherlock told John as the two of you stepped through the doorway and into the smaller tunnel, away from the hustle of the public.

"And illegal." John looked left and right as a stream of people made their way down the tunnel. None of them were even paying any attention to the three of you. John finally sighed, before he tucked away his phone and followed the two of you.

"A bit." You nodded, navigating the tunnels as you pictured the map Howard had shown you before you bolted from the flat. You passed the crowbar back to Sherlock and he tucked it back into his jacket, closing the gate behind John. The further you made it into the tunnel, the darker it became. You all pulled out flashlights, which made it a lot easier to see where you were going in the damp and black tunnels. John followed a few paces behind you and Sherlock and you heard him stall for a moment. You glanced over your shoulder, seeing he'd pulled out his phone again. He wouldn't be getting any service down here.

"What are you doing?" Sherlock asked, without even having to look back at John to know what he was up to.

"Coming." John sighed as he again followed you and Sherlock through the tunnel after tucking his phone back away into his coat pocket. The walk to the platform was a rather long one. You had to take many turns down small and narrow tunnels, climb up and down ladders, make your way across walkways and more. But eventually, you made it. You walked out where the tunnel opened up, revealing the train compartment where the rails stretched out in front of you. But there was no train. Shining his flashlight up and down the tracks, Sherlock looked confused.

"I don't understand." He spoke, shaking his head as he dropped his flashlight down to his side.

"Well, that's a first!" John chuckled looking at Sherlock's confused look.

"There's nowhere else it could be." He again took one more look up and down the track, not seeing anything.

"Well, this track stretches on for a while. It has to be one way or the other. It all depends on the best vantage point." You thought, studying the rails. The tube would most certainly be where it was mapped out in the best location to get the most destruction, that's what terrorists like this thought of. It was all about the most deaths. Sherlock's face immediately scrunched up in concentration as he brought his fingers to both sides of his head. He was obviously entering his mind palace to imagine the best outcome on either side of the rail. You watched him, hopping down the track casually as you studied the interior with your torch.