29

Third POV

Xander look at Calista with wide eyes. She, who look tired and sick, with no energy left and push all she has to come all the way there to block Xander from beating Brandon. Brandon also look at Calista with wide eyes, there's a hint of shock and disbelief in his eyes that his former master would stood up for him.

"...What.. are you doing.. Xander?" Calista asked while looking at Xander with a dissapointed expression. Her voice was soothing but you can hear the dissapointment she has.

Xander clench his fist and grit his teeth. He lost his patience because of Brandon and unable to speak sweet or croaked out a soft voice for Calista. "Beating him! He's a traitor! He's the one that makes you in this pathetic condition!" he shouted angrily while pointing at Brandon who is behind Calista.

"What are you... saying Xander....?" Calista look at him with a warm smile. "...There are no traitor... among my Knights..." she said making all of them widen their eyes. It's true that according to Calista, there are no traitor even though Brandon's latest actions made her feel more worthless as a master.

"...Lady Calista, he's the one who killed your parents!" Lance shouted loud and clear angrily while looking at Brandon with bulging eyes.

Calista turned her head slowly towards Brandon. "...Is that true?" she asked making Brandon widen his eyes in fear. She knew what happened around her, she knew, yet, she doesn't even have the slightest grudge against Brandon.

"...Y-yes....... I killed them... I killed your parents...!" he shouted as he confessed one of his crimes. He just felt like a weight on his shoulder has gone and he's kinda relief that he said it out loud.

Calista smiled at him. "..That must take a lot.. of courage.. to say." she smiled sadly towards him as Brandon look at her with wide eyes.

She completely understand how he feels. Even though if she didn't, she will try to understand and see everything on his perspective because it's the most important thing.

"Calista! He tried to manipulate you in order to change the Imperial Family!" Xander shouted towards her and look at Brandon spitefully. For Xander, he's blinded by rage and he doesn't need any reason to make himself to come and understand Brandon because he thought it's not important.

Calista look at Brandon and give him a pitiful look. "...I'm sorry." she apologised wholeheartedly to Brandon making him look at her, confused.

Why would she be the one who's apologising when Brandon should be the one to apologise?

"What are you apologising for!? It's all my fault!"

"...I'm sorry that I ...failed getting to ..know you... better..." she said as she lower her gaze. Yes, Calista felt like she's responsible as well. Brandon is one of her knights yet, she doesn't even try to know him better. He is one of her people and Calista treasure him as one of her knights.

"...but I'm sure in your perspective, what you did and... trying to... change the Imperial family... and if it's for the better..." she smiled as she raised her head to look at him confidently.

"Then... It's a righteous act."

Brandon eyes widen in surprised. How could Calista say all of that after what he did? He betrayed her and she feel responsible for that!?

"It's disgraceful! Please don't say anything anymore! I beg you!" tears start to form down from his eyes to his cheek. "...i killed your parents..." he doesn't want to hear anymore of it.

He's sick of himself the more Calista defended him. How guilt take over him becomes thousand times heavier.

Calista look at him with a sad look. "They're not my real parents though.. but even so, I feel warmth even just for a moment. I'm not really close with them as well... so it's not really painful when they're gone..." she thought with a sad smile. Thinking that she's grateful to have a wonderful parents by her side even though it's just for a moment.