Chapter 40

I've uploaded again! Please make sure to like and comment if you enjoyed it!

I will be updating weekly now so make sure to add to your library to get the notifications!

S. A. A

                               °°°°°°°♧°°°°°°

I gazed at the familiar street of Rutherford Court before standing up to move off the bus. The boys followed suit and I gave a small muttered 'thanks' to the driver before stepping out, back onto the cold wet roads of Staffordshire.

The bank in itself was gated, with an entry system keypad on the left side wall of the gate. I stilled here, looking up at the large 10ft gate before turning to the boys.

"It's in here. How are we getting in without getting caught?" I asked to which Emut smiled.

"Finally, something more familiar." He joked before gesturing to Demir who nodded and moved forward before swiftly jumping up and leaping over the gate gracefully, landing in a crouch on the other side, his glaive by his side. I let out a small stuttered sound at this, watching as he stood up.

"The green button." I whispered to him to which he pressed the corresponding button in the security booth on the other side, making the doors open. We walked into the entrance.

"Show off." I muttered to Demir as I passed, making him roll his eyes. Making my way up the stairs, I looked to the large padlock and chain securing the doors. Emut moved in front of me then before swiftly breaking the lock with a single hand. It fell to the ground with a loud thud and I looked at it in awe of his ability.

The door creaked open, echoing across the desolate hallways and I squinted looking around as we walked through the main lobby and to the back. I had gotten better in seeing in the dark from the lack of light in the nights of Aaru. The boys were probably, undoubtedly, better as they scanned the corridors. We reached a crux in the path and I looked in confusion at the multiple corridors, each leading in different directions.

"And how are we going to find locker 719 in this?" I asked, my voice carrying across the hallways. Emut sighed at this, his eyes assessing each path before turning to us.

"It's best to split up and look. If we find nothing, we make our way back here and wait for the others." He instructed and Demir nodded, a bored look on his face.

"I've got left." He said and, without another word, he was walking away: the glint of his glaive the only source of light to see his position.

I pursed my lips, looking into the darkness that awaited me.

"I've got the middle then." I finalised and Emut nodded at this before walking to the right path. He gave me a final look before leaving.

"Call my name if you need me." He said warmly before disappearing and I smiled at his innate sense of care before making my way through the corridor.

My shoes squeaked as I walked and I looked around rapidly. I had always had the fear of complete darkness ever since I was young. I felt as though it would shape itself right in front of me, turning to horrid silhouettes and screaming faces.

I ignored the thoughts as I walked on, eying the vaults with careful eyes, but vault 38 was not in view. Each vault was as wide as a large room and I made sure to focus on the passing numbers.

As I continued on, each door was blurring to the next. I shook my eyes to focus but the darkness was enveloping all that it touched.

Hanna

Goosebumps rose on my skin at the sound of my name and I froze on the spot. It had felt like it had come from behind and from inside my head at the same time. I snapped around then, wishing I had taken my weapon everywhere like the boys would. I was met with nothing but darkness yet this only increased my fear and I turned back to walk.