Chapter 73

"No, anything but boys!" Maya groaned and I laughed slightly, leaning against the trunk of the tree and revelling in the shade its leaves offered from the blistering sun.

"Don't pay any attention to her nonsense! The heat of the sun has made her delusional!" Ayla explained to the three newcomers sat near us before glaring at Maya.

It was now the morning after the fearful bakenanouke incident. Negus had given us the day off and, being the dutiful leader he was, Emut decided to spend it helping to fix what was broken in the Penta village during the fight.

The boys and Maya had thoroughly agreed with him and although the prospect of a day off sounded tempting, I knew that helping the villagers would be more rewarding. And, that it was.

As soon as Ayla had transported us there, I had immersed myself in the tasks of sweeping debris and washing down any dirtied pots and pans. The boys, on the other hand, focused more on the heavy lifting and busied themselves with fixing up the broken roofs, doors and even walls of houses.

As of now, we had decided to have a small break along with three female villagers that we had befriended as we worked- Safiya, Jamila and Dendera. They were around our age, all sporting the same dark eyes and hair that was considered the trademark of the province, other than Safiya's eyes which were a dark green.

"Call me delusional again and I'll have your brain pulled out through your nose!" Maya snapped, biting viciously into her apple and Ayla merely waved her off with a dismissive gesture of her hand.

I smiled at this even more so as Safiya leaned towards me.

"Is this common?" She whispered tepidly and I let out a laugh before nodding.

"Yes, although occasionally one of them will result to physical means." I said jokingly to which she laughed also. Ayla gave me a small look when she heard my words, making me raise my hands in surrender to which a small smile broke out on her face.

"Fine, fine. Boys. Let's talk about them." I hurried out jokingly and Ayla smiled at this excitedly, making Maya roll her eyes yet Ayla paid no heed to this as she leaned forward with a smile.

"Now, last I came, Dendi, you were being courted by Karim." She started with a wiggle of her eyebrows and I turned to look at Dendera as she pouted, poking at the at the ground with a twig.

"Well, now he's courting Amenti." She grumbled out and Safiya stroked at her arm before looking to us.

"He wasn't too fond of Dendi wanting to go to study in the west." She expanded and I let out a scoff.

"Well then I say that it worked in your favour." I bit out, making her smile as Safiya nodded.

"I told you men are swine, but no one listens to me." Maya said with a snort and Dendi let out a small huff with a nod.

"Oh I whole-heartedly agree with you, but I'm sure Saf has a different view." She said inconspicuously, winking at Safiya who merely gasped, nudging her arm in response.

Ayla squealed at this, leaning in even more, her blue eyes twinkling.

"Saf! Who is the lucky man?!" She urged and Safiya bit her lip in contemplation and looked around before looking to us.

"His name is Caius." She whispered and, despite not knowing who that was, we all squealed loudly, making her blush profusedly.

"And does he like you?" I prodded to which she shrugged, but Jamila nodded eagerly, rolling her eyes at Safiya.

"Don't be modest, Saf, it is as clear as water how he feels for you." She replied and Ayla giggled, clapping her hands.

"Oh, how romantic! You're lucky!" She said through giddy laughs and Safiya shook her head with a small smile.