Chapter 47

The courtyard door opened with a loud creak and I recalled how I had last snuck out when I had previously been here. It seemed to be a lifetime ago.

I noticed that both Emut and Demir had their weapons held up and I knew that danger could still be lurking. They instinctively stood in front of me as I was unarmed and we walked into the familiar courtyard opening.

The first thing I saw was the flying glint of metal and let out a squeak of surprise as it hurtled towards us at an astounding speed, but Emut was faster and I watched as he hit it away effortlessly with his sword. It landed deep into the wall beside me and I breathed a sigh of relief that it had missed us.

"20 years of intense training and that's all you have to show for it? I'm disappointed." Demir spoke stoically and I heard a huff from the other side of the courtyard.

"By the Gods, we thought you were an enemy, Demir!" I heard the sound of Maya's shout and stepped out from behind them with a smile at the sudden stroke of familiarity. I felt giddy as I gazed to both her and Abrax as they stood on the other side of the courtyard, their weapons in hand. Abrax smiled as he looked to the three of us before calling out to Negus with a booming shout down the corridors.

"Maya!" I said and her gaze landed to me. She jogged slightly over before putting her hands firmly on my arms and shaking me. I let out a small yelp as she did, looking into her furious green eyes.

"Are you crazy! Where did you go?!" She shouted out, assessing my face and body for injuries. I opened my mouth to speak, but Maya continued, her hands resting against my cheeks. I watched as Emut moved forward to greet Abrax with a hug.

"Are you okay?" She asked, demanding an answer. Her red hair blew slightly into her face with the evening wind.

"I'm fine, thanks for asking." Demir deadpanned, a look of boredom on his face. I thought Maya would respond with an insult, but instead she punched Demir's arm roughly.

"We thought something happened to you all." She said with a scowl and it was then that I could see the glint of unshed tears, glistening in her eyes. Demir, seemingly, noticed this too and he scoffed slightly, a small ghost of a smile on his face.

"Oh, so Maya does care about males? Perhaps, it's time to pick a groom now." He joked and Maya let out a small angered sound.

"You may pick him as you would pick a lamb for slaughter. He'd have the same plight!" She gritted out, her eyes were now dry of the tears and I turned as Abrax neared Demir before pulling him into a hug.

"Maya." Emut greeted and she smiled at him as he placed a hand against her shoulder.

"I'm glad you're all back." She said, in an uncharacteristically kind manner to which Emut nodded in agreement. I smiled when Abrax greeted me before greeting him back.

"Hanna! Emut! Demir!" Arun's voice rung out as he galloped towards us and I let out a laugh as he neared before throwing his willowy arms around us, effectively squeezing us all together. Even Maya got caught in the hug and I laughed as she punched Arun in side, making him pull back with a loud wince. She moved away then, so Arun could gaze at the three of us properly.

"Oh, how I missed you all." He said, his eyes gleaming with emotion and a fountain pen tucked behind his ear.

I could hear footsteps from behind and lit up when I saw the familiar blonde hair of the person who I had missed the most. She smiled as she saw us before making her way over. I let out a sigh of relief as she pulled me into a tight hug.

"Remind me to never agree to let you go anywhere without me." Ayla muttered into my ear and I laughed as I remembered how I had snuck out of the house, in the first place. She pulled back then, her blue eyes brimming with joy before she moved to Demir and Emut and placed her hands on both their arms.