Chapter 45

There was a huge silence that resounded amongst the four of us after Madu recounted the memories of his past and how he had left Aaru.

"I came and watched over Hanna, watching her grow." Madu finally said and I stilled at his words, watching as Emut looked to him finally.

"You did it so Negus didn't have to." He finished, a stony look in his eyes and Madu nodded solemnly at his words. He raised a shaky hand before resting it against Emut's shoulder.

"You have and will always be my family. Me leaving did not change anything." He answered and I gulped down the tears.

He had to leave his home and family to protect me. I silently wondered how many lives and families I had broken up, just by existing. I ignored the guilt and focused on the conversation at hand. It would do no good to feel upset over something I couldn't control. Instead, I looked to Demir, noting how he stood at a distance, his gaze looking off to the side. Nobody said anything then, almost as though they were too numb to think and I stayed silent so as to give them the time to recover from the shock.

"How did you all get here?" Madu's voice broke the silence and I looked to the males to answer, but they chose to say nothing. I looked back to Madu then with a small frown.

"We came to escape from a Bakenanouke, but we're stuck here now. I've tried saying the words you gave me, but they don't seem to work anymore. What do I do? You gave me the words, so do you know of another way?" I asked hopefully and Madu cracked a small smile, his wrinkles deepening.

"My dear, I just used a scrap piece of paper and a normal pen I had found in a waitresses' pocket. It was all you." He answered and my eyebrows furrowed at his words.

"What do you mean? What do I do?" I asked almost helplessly. Madu leaned back at this, a loud cough leaving his mouth. I cringed at the guttural sound, gazing to both Demir and Emut who looked at him in concern. He stopped abruptly then before turning back to me, a serious look in his teary eyes.

"When you most need it, the doors of Aaru will open for you. Call it with your heart." He responded and I nodded slowly, trying to process his words. I still did not fully understand what needed to be done, but I knew that there was no more advice he had to offer.

"I wish I understood." I admitted with a frown and Madu looked to me with sympathy.

"All in good time. Now, you must hurry back. There is little time for such tangents." He hurried me, doing a small motion with his frail hands.

"And what about you?" Demir's voice finally spoke and we turned to look at him as he gazed at Madu blankly.

Madu smiled at this before leaning his head back against the wall.

"I'll be of no use there, anymore, Demir. I wish to fully pursue my decision and stay here. I have no strength to make the journey." He answered calmly, closing his eyes as he spoke and Demir let out a small huff at his words.

"You wish to stay in this shayathul and not return back to us?" He questioned and Emut stood up, putting an arm around Demir in comfort.

"He won't make the journey." I heard Emut's firm whisper to Demir and watched as Demir's hand tightened around his glaive notably, but he nodded blankly, not showing any sadness or anger.

"I can't tell you how happy I feel to see how close you two have become." Madu spoke, glancing between the two with an admiring smile.

Emut smiled slightly at this through the sadness.

"Well, we wouldn't disobey you, Ustaaz." He said in a light manner and I felt the overwhelming feeling of sadness overtake me, despite not even knowing Madu.

The old man smiled in response, raising a trembling hand to wave the boys closer and I watched as Emut and Demir crouched beside him. They looked to him intently and I backed up to give them their privacy.

"Remember what I've taught you. It is important that you learn the value of depending on each other. You must learn to trust, to sacrifice and sometimes even let go. It will be difficult, but it is a mark of success." Madu spoke and both males nodded at his words. He turned his gaze directly to Emut then with a smile.

"In order to lead, you must learn to distinguish between the decisions of your heart and the decisions of your brain. A good leader doesn't ignore the bigger picture nor does he let his own wishes cloud the group's morale. He is a figure of solidarity." He instructed and Emut nodded yet again. This made Madu's smile deepen before he turned to Demir.

"You must remember that you are never what they label you. Rather, you are whatever you wish to be. Learn to put faith into those around you and let your guard down. Only then will you be able to see the good out there." He advised and Demir nodded.

I smiled as Demir and Emut uttered their goodbyes, but I couldn't concentrate on the words he was speaking anymore. Not when the familiar feeling of dread filled me.

Hanna, look.

I clenched my eyes shut, but let out a small gasp when I could feel its breathing coming closer behind me.

"Hanna, what is it?" Emut was by my side then and I shook my head roughly as the voice hissed in my ear.

I'm here.

"It's here with us." I said vaguely, my voice coming out as a whimper.

Both males looked to each before turning back to me.

"The Bakenanouke?" Demir questioned, a tense tone to his voice and I shook my head as I focused on where the voice was coming from. It was close and it was closing in, that much I could feel.

"No, it's different." I urged out and silence descended as I listened for the footsteps. I felt goosebumps up the nape of my neck and shivered as it spoke.

I can see you.

My eyes snapped open at its words and I looked to the boys in fear.

"We need to run." I said in a small whisper and when they looked around unsurely, I clenched my fists together in discomfort.

"Something is here. We need to leave." I continued in desperation and both boys as well as Madu nodded.

They said their goodbyes and I looked to the entrance of the alleyway, trembling with fear.

Whatever it was from the bank, it had found us.