Chapter 18: Last time

"Which one shall I wear?" Kayla's holding two dresses, a sparkly one and black short dress. "What is it for?" I ask. "Is she going out?" I am thinking. Why does that nerve me? "Nope, silly. I am doing a little farewell party, the day you leave. So I want to look nice for you."

Wow, all she ever does is to please me. I wish she did something for herself. "Kayla, you pick one and surprise me," I say. "Hmmm, I don't know," she twirls around, clinging the dresses against her." I don't mind, anything looks great on you," I give her my winning smile. "Aww, really?" She's taken back by my compliment. I would think she would be confident, but I guess I'm the one that makes her feel insecure.

"I am making you lasagne that day, which is your favourite." She points out, "and I will get some balloons and put some music on," she looks around the room and then back at me. "I can't wait!" She gets all happy. I don't know if she's masking the hurt, with a fake smile or she's actually happy to celebrate.

Kayla has changed, in these last days. I mean she's mellow downed and she knows I have to leave. It was her grand plan after all, to have me just for a little while, as she said. I watch her pack my clothes in my suitcases. I can hear her sniffle, but she's keeping her emotions in. It's going to break her heart when I leave, but it's inevitable.

"Kayla?" I call her. "Yeah," she replies while wiping her tears. "Why don't you join me, one last time." I motion her with a nod, to come over. "You like that?" She gets up with a smile on her face. "Of course!" I move a bit so she can sit next to me. "What do you want to watch?" I ask her, while she flips through the channel. "Well... she hums. I want to watch obsessed, it's on Netflix." I just start laughing, the irony behind it, it's too funny." What?" She gapes at me with a smile. "It's a good movie, Neo. Beyonce is in it," she mentions. "Beyonce, huh?" I chuckle. "Do you like Beyonce?" I ask. "Ermm, I prefer Rihanna," she replies. "I don't know, I like her music better." "Well, I think they both good in their own way," I add. "Yeah, you can say that," she nods. We both carry on talking and watching movies for hours until it gets dark.

"It's nearly nine," she looks at her watch. "Really?" I stretch my neck and let out a yawn. "Awww, are you tired, "she runs her hand through my hair and I just nod. "Do you want anything to eat? I will heat a pizza," she gets off the bed. "No, I don't want that."I sigh." Can you make me your chicken salad? It was delicious," I lick my lips and make slurpy sounds. "Neo, stop that, you are making me laugh", she giggles hysterically. "What? I didn't do anything," I smirk at her. "I have to go now." I will be back in a minute, she presses the code, which I can never see and then leaves out the door.

I was so close to leaving not that long ago, but I guess I just have to ride this now. It has been some summer, spending my time locked up with her. I did not expect any of this to happen, but I will remember it for life. I hope she doesn't go ballistic when I report her for abduction. I can see her now behind a metal door, locked up for insanity. Maybe she might recover, I don't know. But it's dangerous for her to be around people, with the thoughts she carries in her head.