11: The Zuka Club (Part One)

"Really?" Haruhi asked, passing out the coffee to our currently combined groups. "All the afternoon classes have been cancelled?"

"You mean no one told you?" Riko asked.

"It's going to be crazy around here for the next two days, Haru-chan," I said. "Ouran is hosting an exposition for the cultural clubs."

"Drama and choral clubs from a bunch of other schools have been invited," a younger girl said. "It's a big event this school hosts annually."

Haruhi smiled. "Is that so?"

"It should be fun," I said. My phone went off. I peaked at it.

It was a text from Kyoya. 'Be extra nice to Ms. Kosinowa (the first blonde underclassmen on your left). Her trip was cut short because of your fighting.' I went off again. 'Also, a Mr. Sato requests that you check your email and give him a call.'

'Fine' I typed back.

Hikaru and Kaoru appeared over the back of the couch. "Go buy us some more, Haruhi."

Haruhi was clearly annoyed, having just sat down with us. "Why do I have to go get it?"

"Because you're the only commoner. No one else knows where to buy it." The twins said, "We've even been serving it to our guests lately. And besides, it's part of your job."

"But the cultural club exposition starts soon," Haruhi protested.

"Yeah, but it's not mandatory. So if you're not interested, you don't have to go." "And with that being said..." The twins smiled at her. "Be careful out there."

"Damn them," Haruhi growned. "I really hate rich people."

"Thanks for helping them out, Haruhi," the blonde said.

Haruhi shrugged. "No problem. I just wish they'd buy their own instant coffee."

"Well," the girl said, "I don't know if that'll ever happen but I'm glad they seem to be having a good time."

"And it's all thanks to you," Riko said.

"All thanks to me?"

The blonde smiled. "We've been in the same class with the twins ever since middle school. They didn't used to be this cheerful and friendly. They were always quiet and withdrawn. They didn't have many friends. It's like they didn't want anyone to get too close. I don't think they liked school very much. They seemed so bored by it. I guess things started to change when the host club was created. Since then, they've come out of their shells little by little."

Haruhi looked past me at the redheads. "Really?"

Riko nodded. "But they really opened up since you've joined host club, Haruhi. Now they talk and joke with everyone in class. That's why we wanted to make sure you knew how grateful we are to you. Because of you, the twins are having fun and enjoying each day to the fullest."

I smiled and stood up. We definitely hadn't scared off the girls from the trip as they'd all been quite eager to sit with us. "I can take you, Haru-chan. We'll get you back in time for the exhibition if we take my bike."

Haruhi smiled. "Thanks, Aki-sempai."

I smiled at the girls. "We'll be back soon, ladies." We started out the door.

~~~

As we walked down the front steps, Haruhi tripped. Before I had the time to react a young woman, looking to be in the same year as me, caught her. "It would be a shame if any harm would come to that cute face of yours, young lady."