16: Getting Ready for a Party

"A party?" Tamaki asked, looking away from the tv in our room.

"Yeah. You'll meet my family and eat good food," I shrugged.

"I wasn't warned there would be a party on this trip," Tamaki said.

"Well," Haruhi interrupted, standing in the doorway, "sempai, you weren't actually invited on this trip."

"But you are invited to the party."

"What would I even wear?" Tamaki began pulling clothes from his bag and spreading them across the couch. "I didn't bring a suit..."

"You don't need a suit," I said grabbing up a white tee shirt and pair of jeans. "Wear these."

"But those are so... informal!"

"It's a party, sempai," Haruhi said indicating her own jeans and tee shirt combination, "not a ball."

"You'll want comfortable shoes too. It will probably bleed into the festival tonight so don't forget your wallet to buy food. And a jacket."

"What about Haruhi?" Tamaki asked. "Can a commoner afford the food here?"

"I'm right here," Haruhi growled.

"Worry about yourself, Suoh," I warned. "Money is not a problem among the people here so don't go around acting all high and mighty just because you're flashy. That blonde hair is likely to draw its own attention." I opened the bag that had my things shoved into it. "I'll warn you to avoid people should any troubles arrive." I pulled out a pistol in its holder and strapped it to my leg.

"You look like someone I'd avoid," Haruhi said.

"Open carry is legal here," I said, examining the pistol as I made sure there was no damage and the bullets were still in place. "And I have a concealed permit in most of Japan." I put it back in the holster.

"You think you'll need it?" Tamaki asked.

"No," I said simply.

"Then as a host you have no business carrying a gun!" Tamaki yelled.

"Tamaki, I may not need it but it is needed. It's a show of power." I sat on the bed. "I suppose I should tell you two the truth about this party." They looked at each other then to me. "It's the afterlife party for the last Godfather Sato, Godfather Hoon Sato."

"Godfather? Like the movie?" Tamaki asked.

"Like the yazuka?" Haruhi asked.

"Yes," I said, not letting my nerves show through. "The meeting I went to this morning wasn't a shoe business meeting it was to pledge allegiance to the new Godfather. Godfather Reen Sato. My mother."

Color seemed to drain from Tamaki as I spoke. "You still became a host knowing that something like this was sure to be uncovered? Especially when you already knew of Honey and Kyoya's connections? That was incredibly reckless!"

"Didn't give me much choice, did you, Tamaki?" I smiled. "But I'm glad I did. As much as I dislike a lot of the attention, I've made some real friends who didn't care that the Godfather was my grandfather. They just liked me for me."

Tamaki smiled. "I'm glad." Suddenly he made this loud sort of internal squeal noise and hugged me, pressing my head into his strong chest. "I'm sorry I tried to force you to like the host club!"

I managed to see Haruhi from the corner of my eye and she appeared as confused as me. "Force me to like...?" I pushed Tamaki back. "I still could have left if I wanted, Tamaki." I looked up to see he was smiling and crying.

He rubbed his tears away. "But you didn't."

I stood, looking Tamaki in the eye. "I'm still not leaving either."

Haruhi looked up at us, glancing between us. "You two are cute together."

I felt my face catch fire and Tamaki turned red. I stepped around Tamaki, clearing my throat. "We should get going..."

"Oh... uh... yeah..." Tamaki stuttered out.

Haruhi raised an eyebrow at us. "Uh... sorry?"

"It's nothing, Haruhi." I led the way out the door, trying to calm the red out of my face.