1~bighit

"Park Soojin." I stated to the lady behind the counter as she speedily wrote onto the cup.
"Your order will be ready soon." she chimed as a smile washed over her face.

I looked around for an empty table before finally making my way towards a spare stool facing the cafes' window. I watched as flashes of people walked from all directions carrying on with their lives.

I hummed quietly when suddenly my eyes caught a glimpse of a group of young girls at the centre of a crowd people.

Ha how you like that?
You gon' like that that that that that
that that that that
How you like that?

I watched in awe as their bodies moved in perfect unison, hitting every beat of the catchy tune with their sharp moves.

"Wow, so this is it huh?" I whispered under my breath as my gaze was still glued to the girls.

K-pop.
Its' the modern day hype that has girls and guys on their knees.
Back home even in Australia, girls' would learn each choreo to the songs trying to embrace their inner idol.
Even my mum would rave hours on end about her favourite bands' performances.

Yet still, I did not get the hype.

Why obsess over these Korean people who probably don't even know you exist?

Despite this, I still respected K-pop idols for their determination and passion admis the hate and brutal criticism of K-netz. No matter how beaten down they get, they still  are able to perform and do their best all for the sake of their fans.

Buzz buzz

My thoughts were interrupted when I felt a buzzing from my jean pocket. I reached for my phone and read the contact name grinning.

"Mum!" I spoke throught the phone excitedly.
"Soojin darling!"
I giggled hearing her voice.
"Why the sudden call?" I questioned.
"My daughter has moved to Korea all by herself! Why wouldn't I call?"
"Ah mum! I'm not a child anymore, I can handle things myself."
She chucked.
"Alright alright, well take care Soojin, remember to eat and sleep well!"
"I will. Bye mum, love you."

Like perfect timing just as I ended the call, I heard a voice from behind me.

"Order for Park Soojin!" called the barista from before. I collected my drink and exited the cafe back into the busy hussle life of Cheongdam.

•••

The cool breeze hit my cheeks as I walked through the livened streets of Cheongdam. Every now and then I came across street buskers and crowds of people gathered together. Laughter and cheers filled the atmosphere as I smiled at the performers beaming from the support. I could never get tired of Korea.

I was born in Korea and moved to Australia right before my third birthday. Australia is great and all but I've always been so intrigued with my Korean heritage. Luckily my parents prioritised ensuring that I knew how to speak Korean and a basic amount of the culture.

Even so, I rarely ever got to actually go to Korea, up until two days ago when my mum let me move to Korea to experience the culture. It was quite a struggle at first as I'm still only 16, but due to the absence of my dad, all my life I have been quite capable of handling myself and being independent.

Now that I had finally arrived in Korea, I could not be happier. Life back in Australia was tough as not many people liked me. My only friends were though my basketball team but even they could not get through to why I was so different.

To be completely honest from my previous experience, I can safely say that I hate human contact. Why talk to people when you can just live life alone?

Whilst unknowingly looking down at the ground I stupidly bumped into a hard figure before watching as a phone flew into the air. Luckily for my quick reflexes I caught the device and gripped it tightly. I lifted my head and laid my eyes upon and middle aged man in black staring intently at me.

"I'm so sorry!" I quickly spoke bowing all the way to my knees.
I handed the phone back to the man still embarrassed from what had happened. However to my surprised the man did not take the phone, but instead continued to stare at me.

"I'm sorry if this is sudden but you are very pretty." he spoke unexpectedly.

My eyes widened as all sorts of thoughts came rushing to my mind.

Is he a pervert?
Will he kidnap me?
Or is he just being nice?

"Uh thank you?" I chucked nervously as I bowed for the second time. The man stood in thought before opening his mouth to speak again.

"How would you like to audition to be a trainee at BigHit Entertainment?"

My heart jolted as he spoke those words. BigHit Entertainment? Is that an idol company? Why does it sound so familiar? I stood in shock as the man smiled kindly.

"Here, have our business card," he spoke as he handed me a smooth black card,
"Please call us, I think you would be a perfect fit for our company."

And before I could gather my thoughts, then man unlocked his gaze from mine and brushed past me carrying on with his business.

I was pulled back to reality when I began to process the situation.

Did I just get asked to become an idol?
No way. There's no way.
Me? Pretty?
Bruh I can't even sing or dance.

My eyes were still wide as I soon made my way back to my apartment.

•••

When I arrived, I immediately threw my bag onto the floor and bounced like a whale onto my bed. I whipped out my phone and quickly opened my instagram dms.

soojin_poojin
u will never believed what just happened.

jacklikesdick
what? did u suck dick?

soojin_poojin
no what the fuck jack
i got asked to be a trainee by this idol company

jacklikesdick
hOLD up WHAT
OMG IS IT JYP
MY SEKC BITCHES TWICE ARE THERE
KFNDJDBDHC
GIRL I-

soojin_poojin
kcnejdbejxn no its not
its' called bighit or smth

jacklikesdick
bighit?
who the f-
i have no idea who that is

soojin_poojin
okay well what shud i do
shud i go see their company

jacklikesdick
idk soojin
can u even sing or dance lmao

soojin_poojin
suck my ass.
but no ://

jacklikesdick
wait what if its' one of those sex trafficking things and u like
die

fkdndkrhnsx

soojin_poojin
omg ur right
kfnekxhrj then i can finally leave this annoying ass world :O

jacklikesdick
okay u kno what just because u said that
u shud audition
omg wait what if they have hot idols

soojin_poojin
-_-
can u stop being thirsty for once

jacklikesdick
lmao thats like telling me to kiss a girl
nEVERRRR
read

I sighed as I put my phone aside and slammed my head onto my pillow. Jack is my best friend from when I lived in Australia. He's only my friend because he thinks I look like this chick from an anime.

Anyways, I asked him what I should do about the BigHit offer because unlike me he knows a decent amount about K-pop. However I think his knowledge just about revolves around twice. He's a sucker for this girl called Sana or something. I don't know.

My mind was clouded with so many thoughts about whether or not to go to BigHit as I twirled the black business card in my hand. I don't have any experience in dancing or singing let alone know much about K-pop. Maybe I should just visit their company and see what they're about? My eyes began to drift into slumber as I read the back of the card.

42 Teheran-ro 108-gil, Daechi-dong