11~ grounders

"Good job girls, please take your seats backstage."

We bowed in unison as we quickly made our way to a small room with a large tv in the centre.

Everyone sat down exhaustedly and breathed heavily wiping their sweat off their foreheads.

I collapsed onto the couch as I felt my limbs give up on me.

"Soojin! You were so good!" praised one of the girls, as she clapped her hands.

"Ah thank you, Aerum." I bowed slightly, smiling at the kind girl.

A few of the other girls overheard and soon began showering me with praise.

"Yeah! You looked so pretty!"
"I wish I did half as well as you."
"You are definitely staying in I-LAND for sure!"

I laughed as my cheeks flushed red and I felt myself melt under their compliments.

"Yah can you guys keep it down. Some of us would like some peace and quiet."

My head whipped around to the tall girl near the door.

Kim Misun.

"Sorry." the girls apologised bowing to the older girl as they quickly sat in their seats.

I held my breath in discomfort as I met the gaze of the cold, moody girl.

Ugh this Misun girl.
Why does she always single me out?

I stared at her with eyes of confusion as she looked back with a gaze of disgust.

What did I ever do to her?
Did I hurt her in some way?

I sat in thought as I soon halted our eye contact and fixed my eyes on the screen in front of us.

"GROUNDERS, please enter the stage."

As soon as I heard the announcement, my heart jumped at the thought of my old friend.

The girls and I squealed quietly as the screen panned to the group of girls in black shirts.

Huh?
They don't even get proper outfits?

I scrunched my face in despair as I soon realised the vast difference in treatment of the GROUNDERS and I-LANDERS.

As the camera zoomed closer to their faces, my eyes caught the attention of a familiar girl with large deer-like eyes.

"Chohee!" I whispered under my breath as I held my hands together in excitement.

I watched as she nervously made her way onto the stage and stood, waiting for the music to play.

As the performance progressed the I-LANDERS and I watched on the edge of our seats as the GROUNDERS performed as one.

I smiled proudly as I watched Chohee move around the stage with confidence.

She was by far one of the most advanced GROUNDERS.

Their stage soon ended with no more than a couple mistakes and a few voice cracks. All in all, it was a very passionate performance.

"GROUNDERS please exit the stage." boomed the show voice.

"We will be announcing which applicants will be moving soon."

•••

I-LAND POV

"Wow. What two very passionate performances!"

The judges agreed with Sunmi as they nodded their heads.

"I think we can all agree that all the applicants are very eager to either stay or enter I-LAND." spoke Chungha making eye contact with the others.

"Well the time has come, and it is time to discuss our opinions and decide who will be entering the I-LAND and who will be leaving the I-LAND."

The camera panned out as the judges began to whisper amongst each other sharing their notes and bits of paper.

•••

"Okay! I think we have finished." announced Chu excitedly.

"We will now first announce those leaving the I-LAND."

Chu passed the microphone to Hyunsik where he flipped the paper and adjusted his collar.

"I will now announce the three applicants who will be moving to the GROUND."

Suspenseful music played in the background as the man coughed indicating the beginning of his address.

"Kang Ahnjeong, Lee Iseul and Lee Jiha."

The judges watched as the announced applicants turned dark on the I-LAND list on the screen.

Hyunsik then switched to a different piece of paper where he then began speaking again.

"I will now announce those entering the I-LAND."

The GROUNDER list then flashed onto the screen.

"Kim Minjung, Lee Sunhee..." he began, as their profiles were highlighted on the screen.

"And finally...

Kim Chohee."

•••

CHOHEE POV

No freaking way.
Did I hear that correctly?

I turned to my friend beside me as both our eyes widened in shock.

"Minjung, did we just-" before I could even finish my sentence, the younger girl jumped onto me ecstatically.

"CHOHEE WE DID IT! WE MADE IT TO I-LAND!" the girl screamed as she gripped my figure tightly.

We jumped in delight as we soon began to process the situation.

Oh my God.
That means I get to see Soojin!

My smile brightened as I imagined the look on her face after meeting each other after so long.

Our mini celebration was interrupted when one of the show crew members entered the room.

"GROUNDERS who have made it into I-LAND, please say your goodbyes and gather your belongings outside."

My smile soon faded as I turned to face the other girls.

"You got this Chohee and Minjung!" cheered one girl enthusiastically with teary eyes as she lifted her hand from the crying girl on her shoulder.

My gaze softened.

"Let's meet again in I-LAND!"

Her eyes sparkled with hope as she waved to us.

These girls are so strong.

Every single one of them are so talented and hard-working yet still did not make the cut for I-LAND.

I lifted my head and took a breath before speaking.

"Don't worry Haeun."

"We promise to make you guys proud."

As soon as I spoke those words, the girls began crying again, rushing to give us our final hugs.

I will not let these girls down.

I will make sure I stay in I-LAND.

I will make my debut.