015. bambi

Day 0

Day 0

Meredith sits at John Doe's bedside. He holds her hand trying to tell her something. He traces patterns on her palm.

007

George.

Oh god. He grips her hand tight. She gasps. "It's George! It's George. John Doe is George!" She races through the corridor. Teddy, Darcy, Callie and Derek stand in front of the OR board.

They race him to the OR. Darcy and Derek by his side. They try to deal with as much damage as they can, but it's too great. His brain swells as Derek operates and he knows that that's it.

"Do we know if he's a donor?" Darcy asks with a quiet voice.

"Are we sure it's him?" Webber asks.

"He has a birthmark shaped like Texas, on the inside of his left wrist," Callie speaks up.

Charlie watches on as Callie enters John Doe's room. She gently takes his wrist in her hand and she cries. George. It was George. She closes her eyes and lets out a breath. Pagers beep but no one cares to answer them. They all just stand in silence for a moment.

"George O'Malley jumped in front of a bus today." Chief Webber says to them. They just stand and listen. "He knew what he was doing and he did it anyway, and he did it to save a life. So I'm not gonna allow you, doctors, to stand here. There are lives on the line, there are lives we can save. So if George O'Malley can jump in front of a bus...we can answer our damn pages. So let's go." The doctors disperse and Charlie is left behind. She just stands and stares.

"Beck." Dr Bailey calls to her, she doesn't move. "Doctor Beck." She calls harder, gently placing an arm on her bicep. Charlie is drawn out of her trance, she looks down at Bailey. "Why don't you go and find Addison." Charlie nods and walks away.

Meredith sits in the resident's room, she's been crying. Derek finds her. "Meredith?" He gently asks from his place in the doorway

"George is dead." She sobs out and quickly moves over to comfort her. He holds her tight and lets him comfort her.

"Let's not get married tonight. Today was a lot and I think we should just both go home."

"No, no. I want to get married," Meredith chokes out and wipes tears from her eyes. Then she remembers the post-it note in her pocket. "We can still get married, on paper." She smiles as the tears run over her cheeks and Derek looks at her, and every time he does stare into her eyes, he falls in love with her all over again. She holds Charlie's pen in her hand and Derek gently take sit from her hand.

​​"What do we want to promise each other?" He smiles wiping the tears from Meredith's cheeks, with one hand clicking the pen in the other.

"That you'll love me," Meredith smiles. "Even when you hate me."