010. scale of 1 - 10

"Please join us in celebrating Morgan Beck and John Hope in their union" The invite reads

"Please join us in celebrating Morgan Beck and John Hope in their union" The invite reads. Charlie just rolls her eyes as she pins the invitation to the fridge, then takes a step back and leans against the counter, glaring at the embossed lettering on the white card.

She stares for several moments, her knuckles turning white from her iron-like grip on the counter.

"Charlie," Addison calls to her as she walks into the kitchen. Charlie is oblivious to her calls. "Charlie?" She calls again. The brunette turns to Addison and smiles.

"Hi, sorry." Charlie smiles and wraps an arm around her wife and then glances back up at the invite.

"Are you going to go?"

"She wants me there and I guess...Dad would want me to be there." Charlie smiles at her. They stand in comfortable silence just holding each other in the kitchen.

"Is she marrying a man named John Hope?"

*

"This is Beck," Charlie states as she puts her phone to her ear, as she scans the patient records in her hands

"Hi, Dr Beck? My name is Olivia and I'm with Seattle Adoption Services, I was wondering if you had a moment to discuss your application. I tried to get into contact with Dr Montgomery but she wasn't answering."

Adoption services? Since when had they put their application forward? Charlie closes her eyes and tries to get her head around the words just spoken to her.

"Dr Beck? Are you still there?" Olivia's voice calls to her, pulling Charlie out of her thoughts.

"Yes, hi. I'm still here." She says, closing the patient chart focusing her attention on the woman on the phone. Olivia rambles on about their application and Charlie does her best to listen. Alex comes to a stop next to her, his eyebrows narrowing when he sees her on the phone with her eyes closed. He nudges her and she waves him off.

"Would you have a moment today to come to my office and discuss things further?" Charlie grabs Alex's wrist and checks the time.

"I'm not...I'm not sure. I have surgery and I'll need to check with my wife. Can I call you back?"

"Yes, that's not a problem. Call me back on this number." Olivia chirps and Charlie hangs up the phone. Alex glances at her as he writes down notes.

"You okay?"

"That was the...um...adoption agency. They want to discuss my application."

"Am I gonna be an uncle?" Alex asks her, proudly.

"Maybe...but...erm, not yet, I didn't even talk about this Addie. I didn't realise she had applied. We talked about it a couple of nights ago but I didn't think she would do it yet." Charlie leans against the nurse's station, holds her head in her hands and groans. "I have millions of things on right now and I cannot deal with a kid on top of that. Not right now. I still...I still have some things I need to work out and I can't bring a vulnerable kid into that." Charlie says to him and he smiles and clasps her shoulder.