004. take your mind off the date

Charlie spends almost four straight days at the house

Charlie spends almost four straight days at the house. She wakes up before work and goes to the house, she finishes work and goes to the house. Every minute she's not at the hospital, she spends working on her dream home.

Alex slams the door of the taxi, he stands on the sidewalk and looks up at the house. He shakes his head and walks up the path.

"When I get a call from Addison saying that she's woken up to an empty bed for three straight nights, I get worried." Alex stands in the doorway, his arms crossed against his chest.

Charlie looks up from her place on the floor. She stares up from where she sits cross-legged in front of the fireplace, scrubbing the tiles.

"Go home, Charlie. Addison's worried about you." Charlie ignores him and gets back to the task she was focused on before Alex rudely interrupted her. She vigorously scrubs the dirt off the red tiles. "Charlie." He says again.

Suddenly she throws down the brush. "Pete's joining the army." She shakes her head and holds her head in her hands. Alex sighs and settles down next to her, settling an arm around her shoulders and pulling her in tight. "He leaves for basic training at Fort Benning in a week."

"Go home, Charlie." He whispers in her hair as he presses a kiss on her head. She sighs and wipes the sweat from her forehead.

*

She slips the key into her front door, trying to keep the noise to a minimum. She slips off her boots and sets gently places her door keys in the bowl by the door. Pablo meows and chirps around her feet.

"Hey, baby boy." She whispers gently scratching behind his ear. "I'm sorry I haven't been here. I'm trying to work through some stuff." She says gently picking him up, cradling him in her arms. "Have you been taking care of your mom for me, yeah?" She scratches under his chin and he presses his head against her cheek, a sign of affection. He leaps out of her arms and Charlie creeps into the bedroom. She gently pulls open her dresser, searching for a t-shirt to wear to bed. As she pushes the drawer closed, a picture frame falls on its face. Charlie winces and tenses her shoulders.

"Charlie?" Addison groans, and lifts her head from the pillow.

"Go back to sleep, Addie." Charlie sighs and sets the photo up straight.

"I haven't seen you in nearly four days and all you say is 'go back to sleep'?"

"Addie."

"Get into bed Charlotte, now." Her tone firm and authoritative. Charlie does as she's told and gets into bed, she slides an arm over Addison's waist and tries to stop a million thoughts running through her head.

She gets brutally awoken by a pillow slamming into her face. Charlie groans and pushes herself up. "Are we going to talk about it?"

"About what?" She yawns and rubs her face. Addison stands her arms crossed, wearing a blue button-up shirt of Charlie's. She sighs and then settles down on the end of the bed.